Chapter 12 - The First Date

"I have a surprise for you..." Spike leans over Amber as she opens her eyelids sluggishly.

They had fallen to sleep together in the crypt's only bed - keeping a pillows distance at all times though. Amber had insisted that Spike couldn't sleep on the uncomfortable chair anymore. Spike must have slipped out at some point to prepare whatever the 'surprise' was.

"Eurgh."

"Charmin'." Spike grins toothily and Amber props herself up, leaning against a plump pillow.

"What have you done?" she accuses. Inside, she's still elated from the fact that she's dating the coolest, hottest, most interesting and fun guy she has ever met. She stops herself - maybe that's a little overboard. 

"Always with the optimism. Get up," he pulls her by the arms, causing her to tiredly groan. 

Half an hour passes, while Amber gets ready and dressed, but Spike still won't give any hints. By the time they're out the door, Amber is practically begging for information. 

"Fine." he gives up, "I have planned our first date," announcing this proudly, he takes Amber's hand and guides her to the location. His hand is warm, relatively large, still with the black nail polish from earlier. 

"I never saw you as the holding hands type. With Drusilla or Har-"

"With you it's different." He interrupts and as they turn a corner, he squeezes her hand. 

"The Bronze, really?" she criticises, a little disappointed, expecting something a little more unique. 

"Bloody hell, hold on."

They don't use the normal entrance. Instead, they go round the back, slipping through an old fire escape. Spike pushes the rusty handle and leads her down some dark, steep steps. Amber's grip on Spike's hand tightens as she tries not to fall. The tiniest misplacement could send her plummeting to an embarrassing death. 

They enter a large room where demons of all different appearances gather around tables, playing card games. Chortling demons with floppy skin and big ears. Stout, frog-like demons, munching on chicken wings. Fat, ugly demons holding bundles of fluffy...

"Before you say a bloody word..." It's almost like he can read her mind.

Spike acknowledges some of them with a head nod or fake smile, "It's that room over there."

Amber stares fascinated at the players, she can't help notice that there seem to be rather a lot of...

"Ta - dah!"

A bare, white lightbulb hangs from the roof, illuminating the sparse area. A heart-shaped bed lays in the centre, adorned with velvet cushions, the colour of cherries.  

"You brought me to have sex on our first date?!" Amber cries, outraged.

"No, no, it's a disguise." 

"Oh yes, that makes perfect sense," sarcasm lace her words like poison. What is wrong with him?

Spike goes over to the bed and lifts it. It opens up in half to reveal a storage box. Something inside darts quickly, a little black shadow that could literally be anything. 

As Spike takes a step back, studying the bed, he says thoughtfully, "Okay, I can see how this could look lewd but it's not, I swear."

Amber takes a step back.

"Don't look so scared, love. Come have a look. This is the surprise."

Nervously, she approaches and the creature inside is the cutest thing in the whole world.

"A kitten?" She exclaims, scooping it up to cradle in her arms. 

"Yeah," Spike rubs the back of his neck. "The demons use kittens as currency when gambling most of the time. I was able to win this litter and... save them from the forces of evil." Amber catches his smirk before spotting the rest of the cats in the box.

"I am going to die." She picks each one out of the box and lets them run around.

Spike watches her lovingly, as she plays with the kittens. He gets down on the floor next to her and a cat promptly jumps into his lap.

"Never been much of an animal person myself, but for cats I make the exception. They do what they want and I respect that."

Amber chuckles and wraps Spike into a hug. "Well. We need to take these to a rescue centre. But first..."

Time becomes meaningless as they play with the kittens and bask in each other's company.