Chapter 10 - I Hate You

"I fucking hate you." She says, crashing her lips into his. Spike kisses her back, and she lets his hands travel up to her face. He cups her chin with one hand and the other drifts to her hair. Despite the mixture of adrenaline, confusion and pure excitement coursing through her system, she doesn't break away, and neither does he. 

"Amber."

"Spike."

"I -." Spike at a loss for words - that's a first. They sit silent for a long moment. 

Spike's head snaps back and he yelps out, reaching out for Amber's hand. She's up in an instant and spots Giles ahead, holding a crossbow. "What the...?"

"DON'T. YOU. DARE. TOUCH. HER!" Buffy screams, repeatedly punching Spike while he tries to back away. 

"Buffy, stop!" Amber runs over, grasping her friend's arm. "He didn't hurt me, we just got attacked by a bunch of... Buffy, look at me."

Concern flashes in her eyes as she examines the scratches on Amber's face. She lightly traces her finger along the lines, and Amber winces.

"It wasn't him, Buffy."

"Sorry, Spike, I guess." She manages, not even bothering to look at him. "Giles and I are patrolling, I hear a scream and the first thing I see is Spike within an inch of your bleeding face."

"Yeah, Buff, I -. Yeah, I'm ok though."

"I'm not!" Spike chimes in. 

Giles steps over, and gives Amber a knowing look. He may not always be in the loop, but he is far from naïve. Giles looks vaguely disappointed, and it makes Amber's heart twang.

Buffy pulls Amber to the side, out of earshot of the two men. "Amber, are you sure you don't want to come home?"

"I'm sure. Please, Buffy, it was just a stupid demon. Carry on patrolling. I need to get back and tend to - this." She gestures to her face. Not giving Buffy a chance to reply, she calls to Spike. "Spike, we better get going then. It was good to see you guys but the sun will be up soon."

Spike struggles to hide his grin and the pair speed-walk away from Giles and Buffy.

"That was rude." Buffy complains to her watcher.

Thank you so much for reading this far!! :0