Chapter 15 - UNO

A fight broke out sooner than expected.

"You're not listening to me." Amber attempts to keep the frustration out of her voice.

"I hear you loud and clear Amber. All I'm hearing is that you now have a soft spot for a demon."

"You're one to talk!" she scoffs, and Anya frowns.

"Everyone chill!" It's the voice of reason - Willow. "The bottom line is that we need to figure out a way to stop Glory before one of us is hurt." Spike clearly doesn't count as 'one of us'; this shouldn't upset Amber as much as it does. 

"That's what I'm saying!" she agrees, "But Xander can't comprehend that Spike getting hurt is a problem too!"

"It shouldn't concern us that that jerk got a bump on the head. I'm mad at you, Amber, for being reckless enough to go after him alone!"

"I do not have a 'soft spot' for Spike. I was trying to do the right thing." 

"Shut up!" Buffy shouts, physically having to step between the two of them. "We'll get on the research," Xander, Anya, Tara and Willow straighten up in their seats. "And you," she looks pointedly at Amber, "You can report back to us if you see Glory again."

Amber wants to argue but doesn't have the strength. She wants to scream at her friends for being so heartless. She wants to shout until her lungs explode and her voice is whittled to a croak. Instead she nods silently in defeat, slings a blanket over her head, and tries to find patches of shade to walk home in.

--------------------------

"UNO!"

"Bollocks!"

A cosy round of her favourite card game had brightened her spirits significantly. The fact that she was about to win also boosted her mood. 

She triumphantly finishes the game by putting down her card. Spike tackles her as she does a little victory dance, pushing her down onto the bed.

"Feeling better, are we?" She smiles and lets Spike get on top of her. His smile radiates a sweet happiness that Amber has never seen before. Even though his eyes are clearly brimming with red-hot desire. 

"Can I kiss you?" He asks.

"Yes, please." She grins.

He passionately does just that, keeping his hands planted firmly on either side of his girlfriend's face. His fingers feel rough but comforting on her cheeks, she hopes he can't feel the blood rushing to them. Amber kisses back, her hands making their way up to his chest - almost subconsciously. Spike is so lost in the kiss that he doesn't hear the scuffle of footsteps that are too close for comfort.

"Did you hear that?" She pulls away which causes Spike to wrinkle his lip in disproval. 

"I'm sure it's nothing."

"What if it's Glory again?"

Amber is about to get off of Spike when a familiar face barges into the bedroom unannounced. 

Amber has to think fast. She brandishes the stake that is always strapped to her thigh, positioning it close to Spike's heart. "If you ever threaten me again -" she improvises, "Buffy!"

There is a long pause, long enough for Amber to think her feeble trick didn't work. "Everything alright?" she asks uncertainly, raising an eyebrow, "Cus it looked for a second like-"

Amber hops off Spike as quick as she can, "Ew gross! Don't even Buff! He just needed a reminder that even though I tolerate him, I can still kick his ass." 

"I just wanted to say sorry for how I acted earlier. I shouldn't have been so harsh."

"It's totally fine Buffy. It's not your fault Xander was being a prick."

Buffy laughs lightly, "I was hoping you'd say yes to patrolling? Then maybe the Bronze?"

"Sure. Let me get my coat." Amber fumbles with her leather jacket and leaves the crypt without a second glance to Spike. If her friends found out she was slowly falling in love with their sworn enemy, she knew they'd react horribly. And she couldn't deal with that right now.