Chapter 16 - Crush

Amber never really knows how to dance at the nightclub. Buffy always does it so effortlessly, swinging her hips sexily and waving her arms in perfect time with the music. The harsh strobe lights make Amber's eyes go funny, but she carries on attempting to dance. Buffy holds her hands and teaches her how to move so gracefully. They laugh and stumble, and everything else melts away. 

It's not until an hour or so later that they leave the dance floor. Buffy's boyfriend Riley appears and she goes to flirt with him. Even when lacking the alcohol in her system, Buffy did have a tendency to prioritise her boyfriend over her friends. Well, it went slaying, boyfriend, friends. Amber let Buffy go off without a fight, the couple hadn't seen each other for quite a while anyway.

Amber sits alone at the bar, a bubbly beverage in one hand. She contemplates going home but her gut tells her that Spike is going to be annoyed at her. It's not like she can say to her friends that she's dating him. He knows that. Well, he should know that. A familiar leather coat swooshes round the corner of the bar. Amber shakes her head and slams her drink down more forcefully than she intended. 

Marching out the door into the twilight, she catches up to the moody vampire. It's chucking it down with rain but she doesn't care  - she just wants to talk to him. 

"Did you really need to follow me?"

Spike turns to look at her, his face hard as stone. "You humiliated me." he states blankly.

"Oh please, it's not like Buffy has any respect for you anyway."

That came out wrong.

He scoffs, "I'm well aware of that. I just thought you did." 

"Don't," Amber pleads, holding his arm so he can't walk away. "You know I do. Of course I do. Spike, I -."   

"The way you said those things..." 

She's a better actress than she had thought.

"I didn't mean it. I - According to Buffy, that's how I should feel." Spike looks away, exasperated. "But it's not."

There is a painful, silent moment until Spike looks up. Curse his stupid, piercing eyes. The rain continues to drench them both.

"The truth is, I'm drowning in you, Amber. You're all I bloody think about... dream about. I want to hold your hand and make everyone know you belong to me." 

She would never let herself belong to any man but she lets it slide, he means well. He continues, "If the feeling isn't mutual then-."

"Spike-" 

"Amber. I love you." he practically shouts over the hammering rainfall.

An angry love confession in the rain. How poetic.

The kiss is full of rage and fury and love. He snakes his hand around her waist and she stands on her tip toes.  He smells like bonfires and rain. 

"I think I love you too."

AHHHHH crazy times. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments, I rly hope you're enjoying the story. Will the scoobies find out? When will Glory strike again?  Will Spike ever beat Amber at UNO? All will be revealed... 😉