1.0

1.0
Otto

Thena Grimes just wanted to be fixed

She was fractured, not yet broken, and definitely not shattered. But she was slowly letting herself fall.

She just wanted to feel like herself again. No shaking hands driven by anxiety and paranoia, no dark thoughts that the brink of depression brought her, and no anger in her blood.

Her father's demise pushed her down, making her drown in her own thoughts and emotions. Her stepmother tried to help, contacting her friends, psychologists and even psychiatrists. But nothing seemed to bring back old Thena.

One day, she was joyful, a smile plastered on her face, helping Carl with homework and Lori with the cooking, taking on work calls for Rick and following him and Shane around when she had nothing to do. The next, she was cold, emotionless, the sparkle of her joy completely gone from her dark hazel eyes. She started counting the days since the beginning of Rick's coma. Her patience was running low, her limps were itching, shaking.

Rick was Thena's will to live, the man who raised her, who was there for her every time she needed him, more than Lori ever was. And he was gone. He was there, conscious, and the next time Thena saw him was in a hospital bed, far away from them, from her.

When the mother of Thena's friend called and proposed for the eighteen-year-old girl to spend some time with them in Los Angeles, Lori didn't take no for an answer. She wanted Thena to feel like herself again, and even if they weren't blood related, they were still family, and Lori loved her as much as she loved Carl.

So, two days later, Thena was standing all alone in the swarm of people departing from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta airport. Her two suitcases were already on their way to the plane, and she was left with her backpack and small purse. Shane, Lori, and Carl waited for her to disappear from their view before they left, sad smiles on their faces.

Six hours later, after a long flight with awfully loud music to keep her distracted from the whining child next to her, she was sitting in the backseat of Madison's car. The blonde woman was soft with Thena, softer than she normally was. They did small talk, or at least Madison tried to get Thena to talk.

"Alicia's waiting for you back home," said the woman, glancing at her through the rear-view mirror. Travis, who was sitting in the passenger's seat, turned his head slightly to look at Thena. "She's very excited to have you over," continued the woman when she saw the teen's uninterested face, "Got the guest room ready, you can stay as long as you want."

"That's very nice of you, Mrs. Clarke," muttered Thena, letting her head fall on the mirror and closing her eyes.

Travis took his eyes away from the young girl and glanced at Madison, who narrowed her eyes at him. Moments later, the car stopped, and Madison turned off the engine. Thena flinched slightly, the sudden disappearance of the engine's calming vibrations startling her. When she heard the truck open, she shook her head and breathed in, trying to make the dizziness go away. Her medication, which was supposed to calm down her newfound anger, often made her feel different, like she was floating. And she hated it.