1.14

[1.14]

Why they put Thena behind the wheel, she had no idea.

Did she have her driving licence before the end of the world?

Yes, she did. She had it since she was sixteen.

Was she a good driver?

Yes, there was no doubt.

But was she a safe driver?

Hell no.

She always loved speeding, taking sharp turns, and imagining herself as some kind of racing driver, fantasies that she'd had since she was a young child. The only times she was actually cautious when driving was with her family or friends in the car. But when she was alone or when the situation obliged her to, she was the most reckless driver ever.

With Alicia and Madison by her side shouting at her to go, she pushed on the gas pedal, and the truck struggled to move forward due to the weight of the trailer that was attached to it. When the truck finally lunged forward, the woman moved the wheel fast with her palms. She slowed the truck a little when she saw Troy's body running towards them and when she felt the back of the vehicle lower, she pressed the gas pedal again and speeded put of the Black Hat reservation.

It was morning when they got back to the ranch. Thena's driving calmed down after they successfully approached the land of the Otto's, but it did take great complains from Alicia. The moment she stopped the truck, her hand found the keys and the engine shut off. She stepped out of the vehicle and walked towards the other side of the truck, approaching Alicia. When her ears picked up the sound of engines in the distance, she turned towards the hills that surrounded the ranch. Cars and people came into view, and she frowned.

"What the hell is this?" asked Jeremiah.

"Bargaining power," simply said Troy as he walked next to Thena, "So Jake can make a deal."

"Well, I'm not sure they're in a negotiating mood."

"Walker valued these relics," said Madison, making Troy nod. Thena leaned on the truck and watched the scene unfold before her, a frown still persistent on her face.

"it's a trailer full of rocks and beads and bullshit."

"You scared, Jeremiah?" asked Nick with a smug look.

"...better be careful, son. You may not like my hospitality, but I guarantee you, you'll find it better than theirs."

Thena's eyes fell on the approaching men, and she watched them carefully. The upcoming events would definitely be interesting.

~

"Troy's alive because we lied for him!"

The silence was defeating. Thena didn't expect Nick to utter those words, especially in front of his sister that knew nothing of the matter. Thena's shock after she found out Jeremiah Otto killed Walker's father and buried his skull dissipated quickly, only to be replaced by an awkward tension that hung around her. Alicia's eyes switched between the three of them, Madison, Nick, and her before it settled on her brother.