1.2

1.2
Target

The pit turned out to be a big hole in the ground filled with the dead.

Well, now they were dead dead. Thanks to Travis.

When Thena stepped at its edge, she stared at the discomposing bodies littered with blood. Her eyes moved to Travis, his face disoriented and covered in the same red substance that coated the bodies. When Madison said his name, he turned to her.

"Get him out!"

Thena watched warmly as he embraced Madison. He turned to her and gave her a smile, almost hugged her even, when his eyes switched to something behind her. When the girl turned, she saw Troy cleaning his bloody eye and throat. Travis ran to him and Thena looked away. She heard their bodies collide and the sound of guns, then Maddison's voice. Her eyes remained locked on the disfigured face of one of the dead in the pit, until Alicia's voice woke her up.

"Mom! Thena!"

Alicia ran to her mother and Thena couldn't help but look away, a sad smile on her face. And then, when Nick was pushed towards them too, Thena really couldn't watch. They embraced, love filled hugs, all three of them. The Grimes girl put her hands in her pockets, her back turned to the three, and let her head fall behind. The weak sun hit her eyes and she closed them, letting a small tear of sadness fall on her cheek.

At least they were together.

~

Thena had been given some new clothes and some time to shower by one of the girls that stood by Jake's side. Her dirty clothes were packed in her bag, and she was ready to leave with the others. Her cuts had been treated by Charlene, who now stood in front of Thena with her back turned so she could take a look at Nick's girlfriend.

The military clothes felt foreign on her skin, but the heavy gun felt even more foreign in her hands. She glared at it, scratched at the initials on the grip and waved it in the air, looking at it with a frown. She heard a pair of footsteps approach and raised her head to meet Jake's stare.

"That's my brother's gun," he said with a small smile, pointing at the weapon.

"It's mine now," simply said Thena, putting it in the holster attached to her thigh. She already had a gun, a revolver that she found and reminded her of her father's gun, but an addition wouldn't hurt.

"He won't like it."

"Then he can handle it with me."

Jake nodded slowly and stared at the woman. She took her eyes away from him and looked in front of her, at nothing in particular.

"You could come with us," said Jake.

"I'll go wherever the Clarks go."

With those words, Jake remained silent and after a few seconds, he was gone. However, Thena pondered on her words. They were lies. At that precise moment, they weren't, because she would follow Alicia and Madison, but one day, she wanted to leave. She had to go North-East. She had to find her family. Or what remained of them.