1.8

[1.8]

The moment they arrived at the crash site, they all stopped to look at the missing helicopter. Thena's hands were propped on her hips, a small persistent scowl on her lips.

"What the hell?"

"Are you sure it was here?"

Thena turned to look at Coop with raised eyebrows. "It was clearly here, knucklehead," exclaimed Blake, nodding at the other man.

Madison approached the tracks, her hand tightly wrapped around the grip of her gun, "Somebody hauled it away."

"No shit, Sherlock," whispered Thena, swinging her axe around her body, making sure not to hit any of the men behind her by accident.

"Hauled it where?"

No one answered the question. Silence enveloped the group. Thena looked worriedly around, her scowl stitched into her lips. At the sound of clinking bullet shells, Thena turned away from the site of the crash.

"223. There was a gunfight."

Troy took the shells and inspected them, making Thena raise on her tiptoes to try and get a look at them. Mike shook his head and spoke, "This is bad, man. This—this is bad."

"Keep it together, Mikey."

"What was Phil firing?"

"He was fond of his AR."

"223 caliber."

"Yeah... yeah," started Troy, letting the shells fall on the ground. "Phil engaged someone and then obviously retreated back up to the outpost. We need to go right now. I'm gonna go after whoever shot them down and whoever killed Charlie."

"And Travis."

And so, with those words, Madison was the first to walk away.

~

The drive to the outpost was silent until Coop started asking questions. Thena was leaning on the door, looking at the car in front of their as Coop drove. Her right leg, the one with her butterfly knife, was stretched between him and Mike while her other one was bouncing uncontrollably.

"What's your name, slayer? Full name?" asked the driver, making Thena look at him.

"Thena Grimes."

Cooper nodded slowly. "I'm gonna call you slayer from now. Quite the show you put on, with the axe and the lullaby. Where're you from again?"

"...Georgia."

The driver let out a long whistle as he diverted his eyes from the road for a second to look at her. "That's... far. How'd you get here?"

"Was in LA when it started," she said, looking back at the scenery around her.

"How was your life? Before."

It took a moment for Thena to answer. She was thinking, reviving her childhood memories as her hair flew in her face. The three men in the car looked at her discreetly, catching her face from the corner of their eyes. The question intrigued them, and all wanted to know more about the woman that was helping them.