Chapter Two: Prepping

I crawl into bed, deciding I need to get some sleep before the ball tonight. It is a restless nap that leaves me hot, sweaty, and unrested. Finally, at noon I decide to give up and settle for a nice refreshing shower. Turning the water on, I make sure to shave my legs, clean under my nails and rub my skin almost raw with the peach body scrub. Satisfied, I shut off the hot water and step into the steam-filled bathroom, wrapping one towel around myself and one around my hair.

I rub the steam off the mirror and evaluate myself, trying to figure out what I am going to do with my makeup this evening. My eyes are encased with dark circles from the lack of sleep the night before, the paleness of my skin does very little to help hide the fact that I am skipping sleep to hang out in the woods.

Sighing and accepting the fact that I am going to have to have someone help me with my makeup, I release my hair from the towel wrapped around my head and let my long brown waves fall to my midback. I pick up my hair brush and start to detangle the waves, knowing full-well in five minutes they will be back again. Once I have finished with my hair, I apply a fruity moisturizer all over my body, swap my towel for a black silky robe and head back into my room.

It takes me a moment to locate my cell phone. I am not fond of the technology but my father insists I have one and I carry it with me everywhere... Everywhere but on my late night adventures. I dial Kalani's number from memory and wait while the phone rings several times.

"Hello?!" She shouts into the phone, clearly out of breath.

"Hi Kal. It's Liana." I can hear her shuffling on the other end of the phone. "Is this a bad time?"

"Oh goddess no! I was just trying on my dress again."

I laugh and roll my eyes, "Kal, you have tried that dress on every night for two weeks. Did you think it was going to suddenly shrink?"

She giggles back, "I can't be too careful. I'm just excited for the Fire ball. Aren't you?"

"Of course I am. That's actually why I was calling."

"Go on," she says after a brief pause.

"I don't want you to get over-excited but I need help getting rea-"

"I'M ON MY WAY!" She shouts and hangs up before I can point out that it's only two in the afternoon and we still have four hours until the ball starts. Typical Kalani.

I pop on some sweat pants and my brother's old t-shirt padding down the stairs to my father's office. I knock softly hoping not to interrupt any business.

"Come in," he states plainly as I open the door. "Hello dear. What can I do for you?"

"I just wanted to let you know that Kalani will be here shortly to help me get ready for the ball."

My father, still pouring over the paperwork littering his desk, nods slightly. As I am about to leave the room he suddenly registers what I have said and looks up. "Wait, Liana." I stop and turn back toward him. "Don't forget that Philious will be arriving at 5:30 to escort you. He is bringing some of his own with him. Please be ready to receive them."

"Of course dad. Thank you." I step out of his office closing the door quietly behind me. I am suddenly very nervous about the idea of Phil coming to the Fire ball. Did I pick out the right dress? Will he like the colour? Should I put make up on? He always said I looked best without it.

Before I can fall into a panicky state, there is a knock from the front door. I rush to answer it before my brother gets a whiff of Kalani. He has always showed an uncomfortable interest in my best friend. And she never failed to return the attention.