Chapter 21: What We'd Do For Them

Phil hadn't come back to the dungeon in several days... or at least what I assumed were days. There was no natural light down here and there didn't appear to be any set schedule to provide me with food or water. Mathias came down periodically at first to see if I was ready to accept Phil's offer. I simply turned my head from him and continued to wait for Titus.

Today was no different. The door opened somewhere off in the distance and Mathias appeared in front of my cell. There was a look of desperation that I hadn't seen on his face before.

"Liana, please-"

"No Mathias," I raised my hand and turned my head.

"You're being stubborn and it's putting everything on hold. Please, you have to bow now."

"I'm sorry," I feigned sadness in my voice. "Is my being locked in this silver cage an inconvenience for you in someway? Am I making your life harder by refusing to submit to Philious? Does this somehow change your traitorous life?!" I banged my hand against the bars and felt the tingling burn left behind. "Fuck you Mathias and fuck Philious too."

"Yes," came the small answer from him. I looked back unintentionally. "Yes, this is hurting me. I don't want to see you like this and I need things to move forward. Please," he begged, "it's killing me too."

"You should have thought of that before you sold me out."

"Liana, it isn't what you think. I don't want this either!" Mathias slammed his fist into the stone wall behind him and tried to get his wolf under control.

"What do you mean?"

He sighed and plopped himself down on the floor. "I don't want you to be with Phil either."

"Then let me go!"

"I can't!" he growled back at me.

"Why not Mathias?! I demand to know what in the world possessed you to betray me and Titus, force me down here, support Philious, and then turn around and say you hate it too!" The anger that had been hiding inside me bubbled over the top.

Mathias put his head in his hands and a small sob escaped from him. I was angry with him but I couldn't deny that seeing his distress had an effect on me. I wanted to reach out and comfort him. Mathias and I had been close once. I had imagined him as my hero that would rescue me from my planned future and deliver me to something greater. He had always been there when my father had banned me from events to bring me a piece of cake or share in a kind word. Even once or twice he had come to my balcony at night and told me stories of drama amongst pack members or who had found their mate through the evening.

"Mathias," I offered, more kindly than before. "Tell me what's going on. I'd like to think you're better than this. What's happening?"

Mathias sobbed softly and ran his hand through his overgrown hair. Getting closer to the bars, I realized how tired and worn down he truly looked. I reached my hand out through the bar in a silent gesture.

"You would comfort me after all I've done?"

"We were friends once. I have to believe that what you're doing; you're doing because you have to."

Mathias looked at me with tear stained cheeks and scooted himself closer, taking my hand in his. "I can't tell you what's happening."

"Will you tell me sometime?"

"I don't know."

"Close enough." I stroked my thumb across his hand.

We sat there like this for awhile, Mathias tried to compose himself and I tried to let the anger within me subside. If nothing else, maybe I could use our friendship to help me escape.