Chapter 4: Change of Plans

I couldn't move. Amara was uncontrollable, begging to be let out, begging to meet her mate. I tried to calm her down by taking some deep breaths but I could barely breathe myself. I was stunned. I couldn't see anyone else but him and I could only hear his word ringing out in my mind 'Mate'.

I finally managed to gasp in a big breath, relieving my aching lungs along with my wolf and soaking in his scent. He smelled like a forest after a fresh spring rain, woodsy and tangy. He held me so close to him it felt like his scent was surrounding me, threatening to drown me. And if that was the case, I was prepared to die.

Alpha Eques leaned down to my neck and breathed in deeply. That was when hell broke loose. He growled again even louder and more viciously than before. I could barely cope with the sparks being sent through my body and his overwhelming scent but before I could take another breath of him he spun around, pulling me against his back.

There was more growling but it wasn't Eques. I forced myself to focus on the scene around me.

Phil was face to face with Eques, growling and showing his canines. Had he lost his damn mind? This man could easily rip him to shreds. What the hell was he trying to do?

'He wants you', Amara answers from within me.

"Why does she smell like you?!" Eques demanded of Phil.

"She belongs to me!" Phil roared back earning an enraged growl from Eques.

My father tried to interject in his diplomatic way, "Gentlemen, let's relax. There are clearly some things to be worked out."

Eques snapped at my father, the constant growling in his chest growing louder. I gently touched his shoulder trying to calm him down as I had seen my mother do with my father. His fists relaxed only slightly.

I peaked out from behind Eques trying desperately to make eye contact with my father but instead I was met with Phil's eyes which softened ever so slightly at the sight of me.

"Come here Liana," Phil strained to say.

I shook my head and retreated back behind Eques. This seemed to make him relax a little more.

"Everyone out!" My father hollered in his commanding Alpha voice. Everyone immediately left the venue leaving only the four of us.

Phil flinched but refused to move from the room, his eyes unblinkingly fixed on Eques.

My father gave Phil a shove but he didn't flinch. The tension was going to break and I didn't want it to end in a fight.

"Phil you moron, back down now!" I yelled making as much eye contact as I could from behind the massive man in front of me.

Phil looked at me now, the same anger burning in his eyes. "No. He thinks he owns you because you're his mate. He doesn't need you Liana, I do!" He roared at me now. That was enough for Eques to take advantage of the distraction I had created to crack his fist against Phil's jaw.

Phil faltered and fell to the ground. Part of me felt the need to run to him, to try and help him but I couldn't do it. I couldn't leave Eques and, what's more, I didn't want to. My father moved toward Phil instead checking to ensure he was breathing.

"He's fine," Eques ensured the both of us.

"He's out cold," my father responded.

"Absolute moron," I sighed.

Eques turned once again to look at me. He pulled me against him in another tight embrace before kneeling in front of me and examining me very carefully.