Chapter 27: I Love You

My dreams are strange... well any dream at all in the cell is strange but this one is exceptionally so. I dream of the Fireball but I see it from Titus's perspective. He didn't want to be there, he wasn't hopeful about finding his mate but when he saw me it was instantaneous. I felt the warmth in my chest, heating my whole body with the tingles that fire between us each time we touch. I feel love and hope as though I have never felt it before. 

When I open my eyes, I feel something stirring in the back of my mind. 

Amara?

I'm here. The answer is weak but it's something and I feel a sense of relief. 

Can you reach out to Titus through the bond? 

I don't think so. I'm too weak. I'm hurt. 

He's coming. We will be safe soon. Try to rest, I will need you when the time comes. 

Liana... There is a long pause. 

Amara?

We're dying you know. 

I do know this but I refuse to give up and die here. I want to die at 100 years old beside Titus, surrounded by our loved ones and family. I refuse to go out any other way with anyone else. I am going to have my happy life or die trying. 

We're not dying yet. 

The door opens and Phil appears again. He seems to be coming by more frequently these days. He's not panicking but he is certainly more determined than ever to get me to agree to submit. I am starting to wonder if the full moon is approaching and he needs me to submit to become his Luna now. 

"Submit."

"No." 

"I'm tired Liana and this is the last time I am going to ask nicely." 

"I don't care Philious. The answer is, and will continue to be, no."

"You're going to starve," he smirks and pulls out a dinner roll from behind his back. "This is freshly baked and still warm. If you agree now, you can have it." 

I apparently still have enough energy for anger as I bash into the cell bars and force him to take a step back. "I am not a child that won't go to bed or give up their toy Philious! I am a person that you have caged and tortured to get what you want. You think a roll would change my mind?! I am going to rip you to pieces when Titus comes for me and I am going to enjoy every moment of it. It will be better than fresh bread on a starved stomach when I take this pack from you like you have taken my freedom from me. It's a shame you won't live to see it." 

"So violent," he chuckled and bit into the bread.

"So fucking cocky when you haven't earned it," I snapped back. 

"I have earned this Liana. I have earned every step of it and I will earn my title when you submit and take your place beside me. Keeping you in line will be work enough."

"And what of your precious mate then?" 

Phil growled so loud it shook some dust loose from the cell walls. "I have chosen you as a mate! I have made that clear time and time again-"

"And yet your mate is the only reason I am standing here." 

"I will kill him too if I have to." 

I looked at him with surprise. "You would kill him?"

"I would kill you all if it meant I could be Alpha of the biggest pack in North America."

I started to laugh so hard I had to hold my bleeding knees to keep myself from falling over. Phil looked surprised. "Oh Philious," I wiped a tear from my eye, "you will never be anything or anyone of any importance." 

Phil shook with anger and his eyes flashed a dark and dangerous yellow. His wolf was coming out to defend himself. Alphas are always so protective of their status in the hierarchy, always looking to gain more power to show their strength. He threw open the door of the cell and pinned me against the wall. His body pinned me and his hand found his way to my throat to stop the laughter that continued to pour out of me. 

"Say that again," he dared me in a low growl. "I should mark and claim you here. Titus will never take you back again." He lowered his lips over my mark causing me to shiver and my stomach to lurch. It felt wrong in every cell of my being. 

I opened my mouth to speak but was cut off by the sound of a distant howl. Phil's eyes shot toward the cell door. There was a loud crash that sounded a lot like a door coming off of it's hinges. I could smell pine and rain in the air and my body relaxed. Several sets of heavy footsteps were coming quickly toward us. Before Phil could make a move the hallway was filled. Titus stood at the door of the cell in only a pair of ripped jeans. His chest and face were covered with blood and the look on his face screamed murderous. Bella, Ven, Alyx, and Lux stood beside him. 

"Let her go," Titus was so terrifyingly calm that there was a pause and no one moved, no one breathed. "Let her go, now." 

Phil's stunned face revealed that he hadn't known they were coming, hadn't known they were close and couldn't figure out how they found us. 

"How?" Phil responded.

"Let her go," Titus repeated. "I won't ask again." 

Phil elongated one claw held close to my throat. If he couldn't have me then no one would. But what he had failed to notice were my own claws slowly extending by my sides. I didn't wait for him to make a move. Using Amara's limited strength I heaved myself off the wall, clawing Phil's face and pinning him to the ground beneath me. I growled and barred my canines at him. 

Bella and another warrior I didn't recognize came forward and took him from under me. I had damaged both eyes in my swipe which sufficiently made him incapable of fighting back. He tried to swing his claws out but the warriors only caught them and tied them behind his back, lifting him off the ground and presenting him to Titus. 

"Take him to our cells. He will stand trial for what he's done." The warriors took off with Phil slumped between them. 

I looked down at myself for the first time since I had arrived here. My body was scarred from my feet to my waist, my back was almost healed but those too would scar. I looked like I had lost a significant amount of weight in the short time I had been captive. It occurred to me then that I was still completely naked. I looked to Titus who took a shirt from the back of his pants and placed it over my head. Everyone else filed out of the hallway and left us alone for a moment. 

"There's a bloodbath outside," he said tucking a dirty strand of hair behind my ear. 

"I can handle it," I smiled at him suddenly very aware that I was disgustingly dirty. 

Titus's eyes were a well of green flecked emotions as he hugged me tight against him and smelled me. 

"Don't do that. I stink." 

"You smell like peaches, always peaches." 

"I missed you," I whispered to him as I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him back. Even though it hurt every open wound and some of the fresh scars, I would suffer them all again for him. 

"I love you," Titus pulled back and looked into my eyes. 

"I love you," a goofy smile broke out across both of our faces. 

"Let's go home."