Chapter 33: Choosing Your Path

The next afternoon, I wake up with nothing but happiness spread across my body. Titus is still snoring softly beside me, his hair messily piled on top of his head. The banquet last night had far too many drinks to be a quiet one and training was not expected of us this morning; so we took the opportunity to sleep in. I silently make my way into the shower and let the hot water ease my sore muscles. The deep red marks up and down my body are a clear indication that I should be sore and happily so.

I scrub my body gently, being kind to the sensitive skin Titus has been overly attentive to. As I wash over the small silver marks covering my legs I am reminded that today is the day we are meant to hold the trial. Philious will be dragged from the silver cell he's called home the last few days and face our judgement.

"Mathias," I sigh, shaking my head. Dealing with Mathias presents an entirely different problem; one I am not sure I am ready to face. I have loved him, hated him, fought him, and fought for him. To think our casual friendship and my casual crush would kneel before me with his life in my hands is not something I have imagined for my life.

I shut the water off and dry myself with a fluffy towel before sliding into a pair of jeggings and an oversized sweatshirt and running shoes. I resolve to take matters into my own hands. Slipping from the bathroom to the bedroom door, I am able to escape the house without waking Titus.

Ven, I call out through the mindlink.

Luna, he responses with sass and pride in his voice.

I need a favor... it's a big one.

What can I do for you today?

I need to see the cells. There is a pause. Ven?

Why do you want to see them?

I need to speak to Mathias and you may not tell Titus. There's another long pause. I can almost hear Ven thinking about the shit that he is going to get from his brother for obeying my command.

Meet me by the edge of the field, right-hand side, behind the furthest packhouse in ten minutes. And Liana?

Yes?

If we get caught, I am throwing you under the bus.

I can't help but chuckle. I would expect nothing less.

Following Ven's instructions I find what looks to be a storm cellar tucked in behind the house and wait for him to arrive with a nervous curiosity. Finally, he arrives with wet hair and track pants on in a huff.

"You realize my brother is going to kill me right?"

"You realize I am your Luna right?" I tease with an eyebrow wiggle. "Ven, I need to speak to him and I am running out of time."

"I'm sure it's occurred to you that you're meant to run out of time," Ven grumbled as he fiddled with the lock on the cellar door.

"Ven, he saved my life."

"He endangered it first!" He sneered back at me as the lock came undone. "This is nothing more than he deserves for that Liana."

"I swore to protect this pack. Be their mother, their guide, their warrior when they need it. Mathias is still part of this part until Titus and I say otherwise. Until then, it is just as much my job to protect him as it is to protect you."

"He's in here. I'll show you the way," Ven goes to step down into the cellar but I hold my hand out.

"Tell me where to find him and wait here."

Ven looks ready to argue, but instead he sighs, shakes his head and gives me quick directions. I step into the damp cellar and he hands me a flashlight. "One noise out of the ordinary and I am coming down after you with Titus," Ven warns. I nod my head and take the stairs down into the dungeon.