Chapter 10 Who now?

Tawny awoke the next morning to find Tony dozing in a chair next to her bed. She hesitantly reached out to wake him, "t-t-Tony?"

Tony jerked awake wandering where he was for a moment before the previous nights events came back to him. He turned to look sternly at his young house guest. "Well hello there." he said crossing his arms, "wanna tell me what the heck that was about last night?"

"I-I-I'm s-s-sorry T-T-Tony," Tawny sobbed nervously. "I-I w-was c-coming b-back w-when.."

Tony pulled the sobbing child into his arms. "I'm completely pissed at you just so you know." He grumbled rubbing Tawny's back as she cried.

"I-I'm r-really s-sorry t-Tony.." She managed to choke out through the tears.

Tony sighed unable to stay mad at her when she was so distraught. "I know kid I know it's ok, we'll talk about it later."

"Y-you're s-still m-mad at m-me?

Tony sighed wiping her tears with his thumb. "Well I'm definitely not pleased, I was worried about you. You scared everyone. We all care about you kid and to run away like that was a very careless and selfish thing to do."

"I'm s-sorry" she whispered ashamed.

"Well good you should be. Bruce has been beating himself up all night." Tony lectured completely ignoring the fact that he'd been the one to sleep by her bedside.

"Where's B-Bruce?"

"I dunno lab probably" Tony said shrugging. Tawny shifted in his lap ready to go find Bruce. "Where you think you're going?"

"I-I w-wanted to f-find B-Bruce." She whispered eyes downcast.

"K good plan you go do that." Tony said briskly leading the way out of her room.

Tawny walked slowly down the hall towards the lab. 'Good going stupid everyone's probably mad at you now.' She thought angrily at herself.

She gently pushed the door open and slipped in silently. "B-Bruce?" She whispered tears entering her eyes at the thought that Bruce might not like her anymore.

Bruce turned towards her slowly he looked exhausted his hair was a mess and his eyes were bloodshot. The moment he saw the small girl standing near the door trying to hold back the tears in her eyes any lingering anger towards her left him. "Hey come'er little one." He said gently as he pulled her into his arms. "Hey it's ok, shhhhhhh, it's alright it all turned out alright."

"I'm s-sorry." she sobbed into his shoulder.

"It's ok sweetie." He squeezed her tight, "it's ok I'm just glad you're ok we were all worried! You could have been killed!"

"I-I kn-know I w-was stupid."

"Yeah kinda" he chuckled "but we all have our moments. I'm sorry I upset you, it's just that we can tell you're hiding from someone you're obviously scared. I get it believe me I do but we can't protect you if we don't know what we're protecting you from do you understand?"

Tawny nodded "if, if I t-tell you... y-you p-promise you w-won't tell a-anyone e-else?"

Bruce paused could he make that promise? "I promise just between you and me, although I think you really should probably tell the others."

"W-Well you're right, I-I-I am h-hiding f-from someone."

"Your dad?" Bruce asked thinking he knew already.

"My st-step dad." She said shivering as she did so as if the mere mention of him might make him show up. "I-I told you t-the t-truth m-my dad doesn't kn-know I exist."

"Well then why not let me do that blood test we can find out who your dad is and...." bruce started but was cut off.

"I kn-know who h-he is." Tawny paused nervously, "y-you promise you w-won't tell?"

"I promise kiddo."

"Tony, t-Tony's my dad."

Bruce was shocked I mean sure they'd joked about the possibility of Tony having a kid out there somewhere but it was a joke. Suddenly the similarities between them were so much more obvious the hair, quick whit, their smiles he felt clueless for not realizing sooner. "Tony our Tony? Well you have to tell him he needs to know that Tawny."

"I w-will I w-will! I j-just I-I'm not r-ready." she mumbled looking at her feet.

Bruce studied the girl understanding her hesitance, "Tawny I can say with complete certainty that he will be thrilled to have you and he'd never ever abuse you."

"I-I'm s-starting to b-believe that. I-I j-jus need m-more t-time. Please Bruce?" She begged large brown eyes staring up pleadingly.

"You better tell him soon, he deserves to know he's your father. But yeah I won't say anything."

As Tawny left the lab Tony slipped in. "Who's her father?"

Bruce looked up shocked. "Uh how much did you hear?"

"Just the last bit, who's her dad? Where is he?" Tony questioned his tone slightly possessive.

"Tony she told me in confidence it's not my place to tell anyone." Bruce replied calmly.

"Oh come on! I just want what's best for her what if he's some lunatic?!" Tony reasoned his tone frustrated.

"Oh I can say with complete certainty he's a lunatic." Bruce chuckled.

"So we know him?" Tony said latching onto Bruce's accidental hint.

"Tony it's not my story to tell it's Tawny's she trusted me and im not about to break that trust again. You should talk to her." Bruce said firmly before turning back to his work effectively shutting Tony out.

"Fine then I just might do that." Tony said in a pouty tone as he left the room.

_________________________

Here you go im off to start the next chapter hope you enjoyed this one 😄