33

That Friday after TM closed for the day Kozik and I made the trip to Bakersfield. We had to take a rental car because I still couldn't ride.

When we arrived Ma was beyond thrilled to see us. Happy had called her earlier in the day to check in on her. The smile on her face never left as she recapped the conversation with her son to me. Kozik had been put to work the second we were inside. There were light bulbs to change and something was wrong with the sink in the bathroom so he got sent off to do that. Happy usually did that stuff for his Ma so she was glad I'd brought Kozik along.

"Hey Ma," I said after a few minutes of silence. "Do you think you could teach me some Spanish?"

"Of course mija," she said.

"Thanks Ma," I said. She got up and walked off before coming back with some books. I noticed they were all Spanish textbooks which I thought was hilarious.

"My son wasn't raised speaking Spanish the way I was. He learned too," she said. "But if I teach you, I need you to promise me something."

I waited for her to continue.

"My grandkids need to be raised speaking Spanish," she said. I smiled a bit.

"When I convince your son to have kids," I said. "I will make sure of it."

She nodded and started to tell me all about the life she had planned out for Happy and I. I let her carry on because she didn't often get visitors. I felt bad that I couldn't be here to see her more but it's a bit of a trip up from Charming and with over half our guys inside it's near impossible to get away.

The weekend passed pretty quick with Ma and Happy's aunt giving me Spanish lessons pretty consistently. Kozik apparently knew about Happy's second language, and was impressed I was trying to learn some.

When we were packing up Sunday afternoon, Ma was crying a bit.

"What's wrong?" I asked softly.

"I enjoy having you around mija. And I miss my son being with you," she said. My eyes watered at that too.

"I miss him being around too Ma," I said. "I'm going to go see him in a few days. Want me to tell him anything?"

"Just that I love him," she said. I nodded and she pulled me into a hug. I held her for a few minutes as Kozik stood by awkwardly watching the exchange of emotions between Ma and I.

Before too long though, we were on our way back to Charming.

"Edith," Koz said after a while of silence. We were both so used to riding that it was strange to be able to talk while going down the road.

"Kozik," I said.

"Her medications need refilled. I told her I'd have the money dropped off. It's about $300."

"Why didn't you say something while we were there. I would've wrote them a check or something."

"Do you have that kind of money?"

"Yeah," I said. "Been saving up by floating between Dads and the clubhouse."

He just nodded.

"Koz, I'll get you the cash and you can ride up or meet Quinn and have him drop it off," I said.

"Hap left a good bit of money with me for this stuff," he said. "The prices just went up. Again."

I nodded a bit and ran my left hand through my hair. I was slowly getting use of my right arm back. I was just terrified of hurting myself more so I probably used it less than I could.

"I'll cover the differences and we don't tell Hap," I said.

"He'll know when he gets out," he said.

"And if we tell him now he gets pissed while inside and extends his stay in Stockton."

He just nodded and it fell silent again as we rode into Charming.