Part 8

We jumped into the barn through a window. John climbed in first, and I was second. We didn't wait for the boys to get in before we started moving into the space.

Vampires were sleeping inside on hammocks tied up between support beams. Quietly John and I hurried past them, looking around. I quickly realized the leader wasn't sleeping with the rest of them, and if I knew Luther the way I thought I did, he would have the gun close.

Closer to the back, I noticed an alcove separated from the rest of the barn. It had a bed, and two figures were sleeping intertwined with each other.

I snuck inside, making sure not to make a sound, and noticed the Colt hanging in a holster from the bedpost. I snapped my head around when a floorboard creaked behind me, only to see John in the doorway.

He shook his head, telling me not to go any further, but I had my eyes set on the Colt and wasn't going to let some ancient vampire get his hands on it just because I didn't want it close. I just needed to go a few more steps. My fingers reached out and gripped the letter holster. Luther took a deep breath beside me, twisting in the bed worriedly. I froze, afraid he might wake up.

A horrifying scream rippled through the barn. The vampires next to me shot up, and when Luther laid his eyes on me, they filled with hate. He punched me in the chest, making me fly across the room and hit the wall.

"Boys, run!" John's voice tore through the air as he picked up a bottle from the ground and threw it at a window, making the glass chatter and the sunlight pour in on the vampires.

"Go." I wheezed out to John, getting up from the floor. "I'm right behind you."

He waited for just a second longer, reaching out to pull me with him. He was just in front of me when I lost my footing, slamming down hard against the floor. He didn't notice me falling and continued out the door. I scrambled to get to my feet, but Luther grabbed my foot.

"You," he snarled, recognizing me. I landed a kick to his face when his second set of teeth shot out and was rewarded with a crack from his nose. I was able to get free and continue out the door.

"Willow!" John called from up ahead, and I followed the sound. "Will!"

Once I came up by the cars, I was panting. John grabbed me and pulled me into his chest, and I wrapped my arms around him.

"I'm okay," I promised. Not until then did he let go of me. He grabbed my chin, tilting my head from one side to the other, searching for any wounds or cuts. I  slapped his hand away. "Stop fussing. I said I'm okay."

Dean was staring at me wide-eyed until John finally turned to face them.

"They won't follow. They'll wait till tonight. Once a vampire has your scent, it's for life."

"Well, what the hell do we do now?" Dean wanted to know.

"You gotta find the nearest funeral home, that's what," John ordered.

"You look like a man with a plan," I told him, and he nodded his head in confirmation. "Then you should know; I- I've met the leader before. Me and Elkins took out his whole nest a few years back. Luther got away. Stayed hid until now, apparently."

"You think he's gonna come after you?"

"Don't know. He recognized me, but I'd rather find him before he finds me."

"Yeah, I wouldn't worry. You're not that easy to find, kid." He nudged my chin with his knuckles, and I chuckled.

"Just because I always look over the shoulder does not mean I enjoy seeing something there."