Part 38

Rain was pouring down from the dark night sky. Dean tapped his thumb against the steering wheel in rhythm to House of the Rising Sun, which played softly in the background along with the tap of the rain. It made me want to go back to the motel, crawl under a comforter, and watch a movie. 

"So, I don't think I asked, how did you find this case? Why haven't you taken care of it before?" Sam wondered, leaning over the seats to hear me better. Dean glanced over to me in the passenger seat.

"I got wind of it last year, maybe a few weeks before the twenty-second," I explained, watching some rain droplets make their way down the window. I bit the inside of my cheek before continuing. "John and I were in Abilene; there had been a house fire a few months earlier... We couldn't leave since we picked up a trail, even if it turned out to be cold."

Silence followed, and Dean stopped tapping the steering wheel. I could see him glance over at me in my peripheral. 

"We still didn't get along back then," I smirked. "Anyways," I cleared my throat. "John wanted to go check this out, and I wanted to stay on track, and since he didn't want me handcuffing him to a radiator, I won. But I couldn't just leave it, so I put together some research, thought we'd come back to it this year." 

Sam rested his arms on the seat, and I noticed the faint smile on his lips. "I think he was different with you than he was with us," he hummed before leaning back again. 

I began to re-organize the papers in my lap. "Jonah Greely and--" I mumbled to get back on track but wasn't able to say anything more than that before a woman appeared out of nowhere. She ran out to the middle of the street. 

"Stop!" She screamed, arms out. 

"Holy-!" Dean stepped on the breaks, and with the wet road, the Impala screeched to a halt just in front of her.

"What the..." I began and zoned out Sam and Dean's voices as I took her in her familiar frame. 

"You've got to help me." 

"Fucking amazing," I sighed.

"Please! Please!" She pounded on the window, and I rolled it down to talk to her.

"Calm down," I told her. "What--" I blinked a few times at the bizarre situation. "What happened?" I got out of the car with her as Dean parked the Impala at the side of the road. 

"I-I swerved, a-And we crashed," the woman talked fast, pulling a hand through her hair in a distressed movement. "And when I came to, the car was wrecked, and my husband was missing. I went looking for him, but that's when the man from the road, he... he started chasing me." 

"Did he look like he lost a fight with a lawn mower?" Dean asked bluntly. I noticed Sam's look but decided to ignore them both, focusing only on the woman before us.

"How did you know that?" She asked, staring at Dean.

"Lucky guess." He shrugged.

"Ma'am, what's your name?" Sam inquired.

"Molly. Molly Mcnamara."

"I think maybe you should come with us. We'll take you back into town."

"I can't. I have to find David. He might have gone back to the car," Molly protested. I blinked again and pulled a hand down my face, wiping off the rain. This is so fucking stupid.

"Molly," I began, noting the encouraging look Sam sent me. "We'll help you look, but we need to get you somewhere safe first. The three of us will come back here. I promise you that. You'll find your husband. We'll help you."