Part 9

I stared down at my phone as it rang. I don't think I'd ever had it on while someone called me and as if in shock, I answered after a few notes.

"Hello?"

"Oh, you- I didn't think you'd actually answer." A smirk grew on my lips when I recognized the lazy voice.

"Ash, is that you?"

"Yeah, look- I know you're busy and all that, but I've gotten my hands on some pretty heavy research. I thought I'd be able to figure it out on my own, but it's... I don't even know how to explain it. I thought you'd might be able to take a look at it."

"Sure, I'll come over. I'll be there in, uhm, 3 hours." I stared at the blinking dot on my computer, pinpointing where Ash was calling from.

"I didn't even tell you where I- Willow Price, you are a showoff. You should almost be ashamed of yourself. Almost."

"Yeah, yeah." I smiled. "I'll see you soon."

We hung up. I stared at the phone for a second. I'd already started it, already taken a call. Might as well break the rules and listen to my voicemail even though it wasn't the 30th. I stared at it for a moment, changed my mind, and turned the phone off again but kept it in my pocket.

I stole a car from the street outside the motel I was staying at. Nothing too fancy, just your regular average car. I chose it because it didn't stick out at all since I usually avoided drawing attention to myself by committing crimes such as car thefts.

I drove to the address where Ash's phone was and wasn't surprised to end up at an old roadhouse. It was made out of wood and looked more like an old saloon than anything. I smiled to myself and thought that Ash must be in heaven. This was exactly the kind of place I knew he'd love.

It was open, so I walked in. A blond girl was behind the bar, probably a couple of years younger than me. Other than her, it was empty.

I sat down by the bar and smiled at her. "Hi, I'm looking for a friend of mine. Ash."

She smiled and held up a finger, asking me to wait a second.

"Ash!" She yelled, making me jump in my seat.

"Sorry, he'll be out soon," she smiled at me. "So you're the backup?"

"What?"

"Ash told us he'd called a friend to look at that file. He sat here and stared at it for hours. I've never seen him so frustrated." I laughed as the blonde spoke, immediately liking her. "I'm Jo."

"Willow Price." I held out my hand for her to shake. "Nice to meet you."

"Can I get you anything? We're out of beer, but Mom is in the back bringing some if you wanna wait."

"I'm good, thanks. You run this place with your mom?"

"Yeah, kinda."

"I can see why Ash sticks around. It has that special charm." I looked around, not realizing I was nodding until I looked back at Jo.

"You know Ash told me a bit about all the fun you used to have back at..."

"Willow!" Ash sauntered out from some swing doors by the back. "My savior."

"Still working the mullet, I see," I smirked as he took my hand and kissed my knuckles.

"And you are still as beautiful as a summer's day," he stated, intertwining his fingers with mine making me chuckle. "This way."

I offered Jo a smile before letting Ash drag me off.

He pulled me along to the back, through the swing doors, and to an open door, showing a small bedroom inside. On the floor, papers were spread out, and we carefully stepped over them to get into the room.