Chapter Ten

EMMA
Beep. Beep. Beep.
I groaned as the sound of the monitor sent pain shooting through my head with every high pitched beep.
"Emma?!" Someone grabbed on to my hand and squeezed, I tried to squeeze back but I was far too tired, the effort got lost between my brain and my arm.
"Emma, darling, can you open your eyes?" I recognised the voice now, it was not the voice I heard when I was unconscious, it was my mother. At her request I pushed by eye lids up only to shut them again due to the blinding white light above me. I waited a minute before slowly opening my eyes just a little bit, slowly letting them adjust.
"Hey Emma." Mary-Margret whispered, she rubbed my arm and as I looked over at her I saw she was beaming with tears in her eyes.
"Hey mum." I said, but it came out as nothing but a hoarse whisper. I tried to get up to get some water but pain shot through my head, and I cried out as I fell back on to the pillows. "Here, Emma, don't worry, I'll get it." Mary-Margret quickly poured me a glass of water and supported my head carefully whilst I drank. "Thanks mum." I smiled, but then more pressing matters came flooding into my mind. "How long have I been here? Where's Henry? Is everyone okay?"
"Emma, calm down," Mary-Margret slowly stroked my hair. "Everyone's fine, Henry's been staying with us for the whole time you've been in hear." she said with a smile.
"So... How long have I been in here?"
"A week." she said simply.
"A week!" I exclaimed, "What have missed? Has anyone found Elsa?"
"Emma, you need to calm down. You were severely injured so you have to just relax." I nodded only to find that that ask sent a shooting pain through my head, I took steadying breath, "Can I see everyone?"
"You can soon," Mary-Margret answered, "The doctor just has to come check on you. will you be alright on your own for a moment whilst I find him?"
"Of course." I smiled as she got up and walked towards the door, giving me a little wave just before it closed behind her. I was alone wondering what had actually happened. Who or what was that mysterious voice? I thought, it was probably just a figment of my imagination. Mary-Margret was back with Doctor Whale walking behind her with a clipboard. Mary-Margret came to sit down next to me holding my hand again.
"Well Miss Swan," the doctor started, "You had a serious head trauma, and we had to keep you unconscious to ensure there was no damage to your brain. Obviously, you can see and hear fine. Are there any places that you can't move?" I quickly wiggled my toes then bent my knees and worked my way up my body moving everything. "Everything fine." I said with a smile.
"Excellent." Doctor Whale said clapping his hands together. "You'll need to stay in for another day so we can keep checking in you but after that you're free to go." Doctor Whale started walking towards the door, "Wait!" I called, "Can I see everyone now?"
The doctor smiled, "Of course, I'll go and tell them you want to see them." Whale left the room gently closing the door behind him. In seconds Henry came running the door and came skidding to a stop next to my bed. "Mum!" He wrapped his arms around me and I hugged him gratefully back. "Hey kid, did you miss me?" I said with a smile.
"Well, he sure did get bored of all the baby talk without you around." David said as he sat down next to Mary-Margret. We all laughed and Henry looked somewhat embarrassed. "Look," Henry said pointing out the window,"The weather's back to normal!" I smiled again and for the next hour I didn't stop smiling as my family told me everything that had happened in the week that I had missed, from Neal sleeping right through the night, to Henry getting 'too much' homework.
"Com on we better go." Mary-Margret eventually said, "Emma needs her rest." she smiled down at me before giving me a kiss on the forehead. David did the same and went to stand by the door as Henry have me another big hug and whispered "Hook's waiting outside, do you want him to come in?" I thought about it for a second the said, "Yeah, go and get him." David, Mary-Margret and and Henry left and I composed myself for whatever was about to happen with Hook. Should I be angry? I thought, What should I say? Hook walked in and stopped my panicked thoughts. "Hi there Swan." He said, but it was missing his normal smirk. he slowly walked towards me and plopped down into the chair. "What's wrong?" I asked trying to get up and comfort him, and failing. Hook just shook his head.
"Hook." I said grabbing his hand and holding it between both of mine.
"I'm sorry." he said looking into my eyes. "I'm so sorry." He almost sobbed but held it back.
"Hook," I said disbelievingly, "You're sad because I bumped my head." I said as if it wasn't hurting like hell, "This wasn't you're fault." I said sternly, rubbing his hand in mine. He smiled up at me but I could still se the concern in his eyes. "I'm fine." I said with as much force as I could muster at this moment. He smiled at me squeezing my hand and brushing my hair away from my face carefully with his hook. Inadvertently, I yawned. "I better go Swan, it's been a long day for you." Hook got up out of the chair but I gripped his hand with more force "No." I said, "Stay. You only just got here." Hooks face lit up at those words and he sat back down. "what do you want to do?" I said, but I yawned again half way though it. "Swan you're tired you need to rest."
"Please stay."
"And do what?" He said.
"Tell me a story." I said with a smile. Hook chuckled but started nonetheless.
"Once upon a time..."
After a little while I realised he was telling the story of how we first met, and our adventures on the beanstalk. I gradually became more tired closed my eyes but Hook kept telling our story. Finally, just as I was on the edge of sleep I realised, it was his voice talking to me whilst I was unconscious, I smiled to myself before falling into a peaceful sleep.