II. FIGHTS

═════ ═════

[June 14, 1943]

[June 14, 1943]

REBECCA CHARLOTTE COOPER was not one for theatrics. She was, however, one for movie theaters.

She liked the dark, and the way the popcorn smelled, and the way the cartoons were a little escape for her. She always liked cartoons. She still does.

Rebecca rushed out of her car, down the sidewalk, and showed her ticket to the man at the desk.

"You're late," he said to her, ripping the paper. "Hurry in."

He gave her back the ticket stub and she nodded to him in thanks. Bex opened the door to the theater and looked for an empty seat. She hasn't missed the cartoon— the screen played a black and white PSA about the war, and what you can do to help as a civilian.

Bex ducked under the projector, careful not to block the screen from anyone. She saw a seat open— but it did have a coat on it, and she wasn't sure if it was free.

She looked at a small blonde boy sitting next to the empty seat and tried to get his attention.

"Excuse me," she whispered. He turned his head to her, allowing her to see his face in the minimal light of the theater. "This seat taken?" She pointed to the chair next to him.

The blonde looked down at the seat, then back up at Rebecca.

"No," he said. He moved his jacket and half-smiled.

"Thanks," she said. She then turned her head to the screen.

"Even little Timmy is doing his part," the narrator said, as the screen showed a little boy working in a scraps field. "Collecting scrap metal. Nice work, Timmy!"

"Who cares!" said a voice in front of Bex and the blonde. "Play the movie already!"

"Hey, wanna show some respect?" said the blonde.

The screen cut to a video of an injured soldier being carried on a stretcher. "Meanwhile, overseas, our brave boys are showing the axis powers that the price of freedom is never too high."

"Let's go!" said the voice, louder this time. He drew attention from all over the theater. "C'mon, just start the cartoon!"

"Hey, you wanna shut up?" remarked the blonde, louder this time. Bex watched as the loud man in front of them turned around and stood up threateningly. She looked at the kid next to her, who had donned a look of fear. The loud kid was much larger than he was.

— ☆ —

Bex walked down the street after the cartoon ended, nothing much on her mind. She wanted to go home, and she wanted to sit on her couch and relax. Maybe catch some of her favorite radio show. It was unlikely, though— she hadn't checked the time, but she was quite sure that it was already over.