VI. STEVE

═════ ◈ ═════

THE CAR STOPPED in front of a brown, very old-looking building

THE CAR STOPPED in front of a brown, very old-looking building. BROOKLYN ANTIQUES, read the sign above. Peggy, Steve, and Rebecca got out of the car. Agent Carter walked forward, toward the shop.

"This way," said Agent Carter.

"What are we doing here?" asked Steve.

"Follow me," said Peggy. She stepped inside. Steve put his hat on, and Rebecca fixed her skirt.

The bell on the door jingled when they opened it, revealing a dark shop. There was barely any light. The only color in the place seemed to be brown. But soon, an old woman in a pink sweater came out from behind the curtain leading to the back room.

"Wonderful weather this morning, isn't it?" she asked, as if waiting for a specific answer.

"Yes," Agent Carter answered, "but I always carry an umbrella."

The old woman went behind her desk. Bex heard a faint buzzing sound.

Agent Carter led them into the back room. She stared at a bookcase.  Bex gave a confused look to Steve, who raised his eyebrows and shrugged.  Suddenly, there was a click, and the door opened.  Bex's mouth hung open in surprise as the doors revealed an extremely professional looking facility where doctors and army men were everywhere. 

Steve and Rebecca followed Agent Carter inside.  They walked down the hall and into a set of metal doors, which two soldiers opened for them.  These doors revealed a full facility, which they looked over from a metal balcony.  Rebecca's jaw dropped again. 

Scientists bustled around a whole array of machinery— but now, they stared quietly up at Steve.  One wall was taken up by a whole span of switches, lights, and buttons, and arranged in a circular shape in the middle of the room were even more.  The circular control board surrounded a light blue machine with gray coverings big enough for a person to lie in. Bex assumed that's where the real stuff would happen.

Steve looked at Bex.  She thought she could see a little glint of fear in his eyes.

Agent Carter walked down the stairs, and Steve and Rebecca followed.

"You're gonna be okay," she whispered to him, once the scientists began working again.  She might have said it a couple seconds earlier, but it would be weird in complete silence. 

The three of them walked onto the circular platform in the middle.  Dr. Erskine approached them and shook hands with Steve firmly.  "Good morning," he said.  A camera flashed, snapping the photo.  Steve and Erskine turned to look.  "Please, not now," said the doctor. 

Steve looked beside him at the large machine.  It looked as if it had a top that would close over him and trap him in there.  Fixed on were loads of needles and lights and controls that Rebecca did not like the look of.  It made her a little scared for Steve.  But surely, he'd be fine.  They chose him for a reason, didn't they?