VIII. GETTING THERE

═════ ◈ ═════

STEVE, REBECCA, AND Agent Carter sat in a melancholy, white doctor's room where nurses continuously took vials of Steve's blood and put them into a tray

STEVE, REBECCA, AND Agent Carter sat in a melancholy, white doctor's room where nurses continuously took vials of Steve's blood and put them into a tray.   Steve sat there looking down, while the Agent and Bex sat across from him and watched as a nurse took vial after vial. Finally she filled the last spot in the small tray, and Steve began to roll down his sleeve, the upset look still on his face.

Only some time before he had run after and captured a German agent, who told Steve he was "the first of many," then proceeded to crush a cyanide pill disguised as a tooth, foamed at the mouth, and killed himself with the last words "Hail Hydra," —all in front of Steve.

"Think you got enough?" said Steve.  He stood up from the spot he was sitting after the nurse took the needle out of his arm.

"Any hope of reproducing the program is locked in your genetic code," said Agent Carter, standing up.  "But without Dr. Erskine it would take years."

Steve looked stoically forward, not staring the agent in the eyes.

"He deserved more than this," said Steve.

"If it could work only once, he'd be proud it was you," said Peggy, looking down at the papers in her arms.

Steve continued to look forward, nodding at the compliment.  He appreciated it greatly—Rebecca was sure.

— ☆ —

"Hydra," said the voice of Colonel Phillips as Agent Carter, Steve, and Bex walked down the stairs into yet another room with multiple scientific devices.  It got darker and warmer with every step down into the brick room.  "I'm sure you've been reading our briefings," he said to another man, who turned out to be Senator Brandt.

"I'm on a number of committees, Colonel," the Senator replied.

"Hydra is the Nazi deep-science division," explained Carter, as the three of them walked into the barely-lit room. Rebecca looked at Steve for a moment, to see how he felt about it all, but he only looked forward, taking in the melancholy room and the people inside. "It's led by Johann Schmidt.  But he has much bigger ambitions."

"Hydra is practically a cult," continued Colonel Phillips. "They worship Schmidt. They think he's invincible."

"So what are you going to do about it?" asked Senator Brandt.

"I spoke to the President this morning," said the Colonel. "As of today the SSR is being retasked." He walked over to where the three of them were standing behind Carter.

"Colonel?" she inquired.

"We are taking the fight to Hydra.  Pack your bags, Agent Carter." He turned around to face Howard, who was fiddling with the controls in the submarine the German agent had attempted to make a getaway in. "You too, Stark," he said. "We're flying to London tonight."