XXV. LOVERS

═════ ◈ ═════

THERE WAS NO FORGETTING about where the Valkyrie was headed, as that had been their biggest concern in the first place

THERE WAS NO FORGETTING about where the Valkyrie was headed, as that had been their biggest concern in the first place. Steve immediately picked up his shield and sat in the seat in front of the controls as Rebecca watched that mysterious blue cube fall to its own demise.

A small, circular screen blinked with the ship's destination, New York City.  It then moved to show where they currently were, somewhere northeast of the city, but going fast enough that there was no time to change the course nor land somewhere else.  The Valkyrie was going to fast for them to make a call, settle a landing point, and figure out how to get down safely.  It wasn't going to happen.  And Rebecca realized that.

Steve glanced up at her— just a quick look at the map in the little screen had shown them both their answer.  Steve was breathing heavy, but he didn't seem afraid at all.  She read his blue eyes and knew that he had realized this too.  She nodded to him, and he looked back at the control panel to turn on communications and get the right frequency so that he could communicate with the home base. 

The static didn't last long. "Come in.  This is Captain Rogers.  Do you read me?" said Steve urgently.  Bex kept her hand on his shoulder as he spoke. 

"Captain Rogers, what is your—" came in Jim Morita's voice, soon interrupted by Agent Carter.

"Steve, is that you? Are you alright? Is Rebecca alright?"

"Peggy, Schmidt's dead!" he answered quickly.

"And we're alive!" added Bex.

"What about the plane?" she asked. 

Steve and Rebecca glanced at eachother once again.

Steve turned back to stare out the large window in front of them, searching for the words to say.  "That's a little bit tougher to explain," he said finally.

"Give me your coordinates," said Peggy.  "I'll find you a safe landing site."

Bex stared at another small circular screen opposite the one with the map that showed a diagram of the Valkyrie, highlighting in red all the missiles on the ship.  There were now six manned explosives as well as two bombers housed on the top of the Valkyrie.

"There isn't going to be a safe landing, Peggy," said Rebecca, still staring at all the red areas on the small screen. 

"All we can do is try and force it down," Steve completed.