V. SEEING YOU

═════ ◈ ═════

"FASTER, LADIES! Come on

"FASTER, LADIES! Come on. My grandmother has more life in her, God rest her soul."

Rebecca never had to do so many push-ups in her life.

She could do them, sure. To a limit. A rather small limit. Though she supposed training had given her more arm strength than she had before. Maybe it wasn't so bad, right?  She wanted to be in the army.  Her brothers would train her just as vigorously.  To reach her goal, she'd do a hundred if so necessary.

Steve, on the other hand, could barely do one.

"Up!" called Agent Carter.

She had them do jumping jacks. Lovely.

"Come on, girls." Rebecca never took offense to the nickname. Carter would sometimes knowingly look straight at her when she said it.

Suddenly, something landed on the ground in front of them. From beside, Colonel Phillips shouted, "Grenade!"

"Move, move!"

Like the others, Rebecca ran to hid behind something and get down.

"Get away!" called Steve's voice. He'd planted himself right on top of it. "Get back!" he jerked.

Rebecca looked up from behind the car she had used for protection, eyes wide.

"It was a dummy grenade," said someone from afar. "All clear, back in formation."

"Is this a test?" asked Steve, looking toward the Colonel and the scientist standing next to him.

Erskine grinned at him.

— ☆ —

"That was amazing. I can't believe you did that."

Steve shrugged. "Thought it was the right thing."

"You could have died. What would I tell Bucky if you died?"

Steve shrugged again. "It was your idea to do the flagpole. You could have taken the credit before me, you know.   That was really good of you."

Rebecca nodded to herself proudly.

Steve looked around the place at Bex's quarters. She got a room all to herself, even if it was just as poorly furnished as his. It had a cot with white sheets and covers, minimal furniture, and only a few of Rebecca's belongings.

"Still can't believe you got your own place," he said.

"Well, I guess some perks come with being the only girl recruit," said Rebecca, looking around. "How's your quarters?"

"They're... cozy," he said sarcastically. "Everyone's my friend. Lots of fun. We get along swell."

"Missing Bucky?" she asked.