XVII. COLD NIGHTS

═════ ◈ ═════

"REBECCA, I CAN'T LET YOU go into war mad at me

"REBECCA, I CAN'T LET YOU go into war mad at me. You're supposed to be on my side," Steve pleaded for what felt like the hundredth time that day.

They were at the SSR base for what would be the last time in a while, picking up their uniforms. Rebecca had clothes, of course, with all those special fibers that Howard fabricated, but Steve's was much more special. He was Captain America, of course. They were apparently coming out in a few minutes.

Bex finally gave in. "Would you have let her kiss you, Steve?" she said, uncrossing her arms and turning to him.

"Of course not, Rebecca," he said softly. "Bex, I didn't even realize she was flirting with me.  I wouldn't have let her do anything."

She let out a sigh. "Fine," she said.  "You're forgiven. You're lucky you're so clueless, you know."

Steve smiled, finally having got what he wanted.  Nothing more on his conscience. Rebecca turned back and stared at the floor as they leaned against the wall in waiting. Of course, there were still things to say. "So, girlfriend, huh?" he said, the winning smile still lingering on his face.

Bex turned to him again. "What?" she said.

"When you pushed the girl away, you said you were my girlfriend," he said.

Rebecca thought about it for a second.  "I did, didn't I," she said.

"Yeah," he said.

"I guess you're my boyfriend, then."

They smiled.

— ☆ —

And so, they began. They were given map after map and took with them who knows how many weapons. They were ready. All of them.

The first mission seemed easy. They tore in, guns blazing, taking down anyone in their way. Once they had access to a central place inside they planted a grenade and got the hell out of there. The second Hydra base took a little fighting. The guards there must have gotten word, and they readied themselves as much as the could for the 107th. Not giving up their efforts, Captain America and his crew tore through, and blazed the place once again.

One by one, stations were taken off the map.  Finding them, since locations were very inaccurate, was harder than actually getting rid of them.  The group would trek quietly through large forests for hours at a time— never knowing who and what was where, all in search for the Hydra bases.  Steve stopped the group in their tracks once in the woods and threw his shield at a seemingly harmless tree— a Hydra sniper fell out of it just as Steve's shield boomeranged back to him.

Of course, they had their own marksman.  Bucky Barnes had a good eye and one hell of an aim.  They had good men— and Rebecca— willing to risk their lives to ensure the security of their country and the people in it.  People that they loved. That made all the tiresome treks through the woods and the planning and the bombing and running all worth it.  All of it.