XXII. READY, STEADY...

═════ ◈ ═════

THEY RAN AROUND THE CORNER to find nothing but another wave of Hydra soldiers running in the opposite direction toward a group of their own

THEY RAN AROUND THE CORNER to find nothing but another wave of Hydra soldiers running in the opposite direction toward a group of their own.  "Cut of one head, two more shall—!" one began, turning around to face them. But Colonel Phillips cut him off with a couple shots to the stomach before he could finish. 

"Let's go find two more!" he said, as more of their own fired shots at the Hydra guards.

Peggy led Rebecca and a group of soldiers down the hall and split from the group headed by Colonel Phillips.  As they crept down the hall, they heard the loud sounds of machinery being operated around the corner.  Rebecca peeked around the edge of the hall to see a large Hydra guard with one large flamethrower on each arm, walking forward with large, heavy steps.  Bex's eyes followed the wall forward to find Steve hiding out of the way in a doorframe, 

Peggy nodded for Rebecca to go.  Bex pulled the rifle from her back and stepped forward, immediately pulling the trigger and shooting multiple times, leaving the armed soldier lying on the floor, up in flames.

Rebecca ran towards Steve as he turned to watch the pile of fire on the floor.  Peggy and the other soldiers followed behind.  Steve turned and smiled when he saw her running toward him.  Soldiers continued through the facility, going around the couple.

"You're late," he said with a smile, putting his hands on her shoulders and bringing himself closer to her. 

"There were a couple roadblocks," she smiled.

They stared at each other for a second or two before a voice called Steve, making him turn.

"Captain, weren't you about to..." Peggy pointed down the hall.

"Right," said Steve. He pecked Rebecca on the forehead, then ran off in the opposite direction. Bex watched him grab his shield from between doors it had been holding open, then continued running to the left. The door closed as he went.

"Come on," said Peggy. Rebecca finally turned back around and ran the other way with Agent Carter, past the man on the floor in flames.

They continued running until they reached a large, high ceilinged room where crates were piled high. It was dark, but on the floor they could see yellow lines and lights that guided a runway. Rebecca's eyes followed them to see Steve running faster than ever humanly possible after Red Skull's large aircraft— the Valkyrie — which seemed to be departing now, on it's way to send the Eastern Seaboard up in flames.

Peggy and Bex stopped when they saw him so far— how were they supposed to help him now? But their thoughts were answered quickly by a voice calling, "Ladies!" They turned, brows raised, to see Colonel Phillips standing next to a shiny black car headed with the Hydra logo. "Don't just stand there, get in!" Bex and Peggy jogged over to the car and jumped in the backseat just as Phillips took to the wheel. Once they were all inside, he immediately stepped on the gas, and they went flying across the long room toward the Valkyrie and Steve.

As Steve ran, the Valkyrie got further from him. He began to slow down— even a super soldier could only go so fast, let alone as fast as a giant aircraft that was to take off any second now. As Steve came to a stop, so did the three of them— right up next to him.

"Get in!"

Steve didn't hesitate to jump over the side of the car and get in the passenger seat. Colonel Phillips stepped on the gas again once Steve had both feet in the car. They got closer and closer, but it wasn't close enough. A large pair of double doors began opening far in front of them— and the Valkyrie would easily get there first if they didn't go faster.

Just as they were about to begin inching away, Phillips pressed a large red button by the side of the steering wheel, and they were back in business. All of their heads were thrown back as rockets powered up on the back and sides of the car, speeding it up to match the Valkyrie. Once they were only a few yards away, Steve began standing up, and Rebecca mirrored his actions.

"Keep it steady!" he told Phillips. He glanced back at Bex and gave her a nod, as if asking her if she was ready. She nodded back, surprised he didn't protest her immediate coming with him. He then grabbed her hand and kissed her slowly, coming apart just as they arrived under the belly of the aircraft.

"Let's get him," said Rebecca, smiling. Steve nodded again, then glanced at Phillips.

"I'm not kissin' ya," he said, shaking his head. Steve and Bex climbed onto the hood of the car and ducked as they came to spinning fans that were on the bottom of the aircraft. The fans just barely scratched Steve's shield. Once they were past those, they continued slowly standing up and then, finally, just as the aircraft went out the doors and was about to reach the end of the runway, out of reach once and for all—

They jumped.

The couple landed on either side of a no-longer-spinning wheel as it folded back into the aircraft. The Valkyrie had taken off and was now in the air. And the best part: as far as Schmidt knew, they were still on the ground, watching as he began his way toward their good ol' U.S. of A.