Chapter 9

Emma nearly fainted when she saw Lucy drenched in blood. Holding the basket in one hand while the other was holding that of a unconscious child. The nun wasted no time in checking the young lass and Lucy for any injuries. Emma let out a sigh of relief when she found none but it was quickly replaced with confusion as she turns back to Lucy.

"How did this happen? Why are you smeared in blood? Did you get into a fight?" Emma asked as Lucy avoided her gaze. "There... a lot has happened. I... I can explain later, but... can we..." Lucy uncomfortably shifted from her position as Emma nodded back.

"Ah, yes yes! We'll take care of her. For now, please clean yourself sister Lucy. You look...well you look like you needed it." Lucy nodded in reply as she surrendered the little girl to Emma before going to where the river was.

֍

Lucy stared at the river before her as her hands trembled slightly. The blood in her hands were thick as well as sticky as she stared at it for a moment. The crimson shade that permeated in her hands felt so filthy that Lucy did not hesitate plunging her hands into the cold river.

The cooling and refreshing water seems to wash away the heat. Like metal that was being submerged after being heated for hours on end, Lucy enjoyed the feeling for a moment before beginning to clean herself.

She thoroughly wash her hands against the river despite the gnawing cold it brings. As she was about to clean other parts of her body, Lucy eyes widens in shock as the blood in her hands were still there, still... red. She stared blankly at them for a moment before grimacing.

Lucy submerged her hands once more, washing them more thoroughly this time. To her horror, however, the blood was still there. The grime, the heat, the filth... it was still there. Her surprise turned into panic as she submerged them once more, scrubbing every bit and cranny that she felt her skin being torn apart.

Did you think you can change? Lucy wildly turns around as a voice whispers softly in her ears. She looked again and again but found no one as she returned to scrubbing her hands fiercely. Did you think you could break free from these chains? Lucy snapped back yet again, trying to find the source of the voice to no avail.

Where are you looking at? I'm right here. Lucy could feel her blood run cold as she submerged her hands once more, desperately trying to remove the blood in her hands. No no, it can't be. T-this can't be happening. Why are you here?? The terrified maiden thought as her panic turned into desperation.

"Why won't it clean?" Lucy hissed as she relentlessly tries to wash off the blood. No matter how hard she tries, however, the blood simply won't go away. "Why won't it clean?!" Lucy panicked as a cold laughter seemed to echo within her mind.

Of course it won't be clean, you filthy murderer. "No!" Lucy exclaimed as she only tries to scrubbed the dirty hands harder. The blood of the innocents are in your hands "I didn't mean to do it. I...I... it was an accident!" Lucy desperately replied as her breathing begins to go haggard.

Memories of her old life begins to sprang up once more.The broken bodies, the burning houses, the taste of iron, and... and the crushing weight of her failure. All were still fresh in her mind as if it was yesterday. "It was an accident! I-I swear it was a-"

You are wrong Emma. The voice whispered as Lucy was forced to remember that name. Try as you might be, you can never run away from it. After all- "N-no." you are a murderer. "No no no! That's not true! That is not true! I'm not a... I-I'm not a... no you have to believe me, I am not a..." murderer "Sister Lucy?" Lucy snapped back to reality as she wildly turns around again, finding someone else behind her this time.