Chapter 17

3 days passed

"H-here s-sister Lucy..." A young boy nervously hands in a small daisy to Lucy's surprise. It was for the first time that a child had approached her. She never thought a day would actually come, much less receive a gift.

"G-get well soon!" Adam shouted as if he was trying to erase the nervousness in his heart. Lucy stared at the boy for a moment then at the flower before finally responding. "T-thank you, Adam." Lucy replied as the boy's eyes widened for a moment before retreating with all haste.

Lucy watched the small figure disappear as he turned to a corner of the hallway. "You remember." Lucy jumped as she turned to see Rose smiling from ear to ear. Her smile looked brighter than usual as Lucy awkwardly asked.

"R-remember what?" Lucy asked as Rose replied with her usual easy-going tone. "Why, his name of course!" Rose explained as Lucy looked even more confused. "I'm impressed you took the time to remember his name out of all the children." Rose said as Lucy hid the flower.

"He is the one who Emma saved you know?" Rose said as Lucy slowly nodded back. "I see..." Lucy replied as Rose patted her shoulder. "Come now, is that all? The poor lad must have gathered insurmountable courage to give that flower you know?" Lucy flinched as Rose's eyes widened in realization.

"Ah... sorry... I forgot that they-" "No... it's alright..." Lucy replied as she looked down at the daisy again. The small flower inside her clothes was so small yet it felt so heavy. A small smile crept up on her face as Rose looked back in surprise.

"It's a start right?" Lucy whispered as she pointed at the small flower. Rose also smiled back in reply as she nodded eagerly.

"That's right Lucy, this is indeed a fresh start. We can always start with the small things you know?" Rose smiled as Lucy turned her head slightly, hiding her reddening cheeks.

Rose looked in confusion at first, but a mischievous grin soon stretched out from her face. "Aww, are you shy? Is our little Lucy shy?" Rose teased as Lucy only reddened further.

"... I'm not little... I'm older than you..." Rose laughs at her weak retort.

"Anyways, how's your body holding up?" Rose asked as her gaze landed on the bandages. Her right shoulder and right leg took most of the space as it was the most grievous wound, yet it took barely a week for Lucy to walk by again.

"...Could be worse..." Lucy replied.

"Are you feeling nauseated? Do you sometimes feel your senses suddenly rising higher than usual?" Lucy pondered the inquiry for a moment before replying.

"Now that you mentioned it, I do feel more sensitive sometimes." Lucy replied.

"Is that so? When do you usually feel it?" Rose asked as they turned to a corner.

"Usually at night when I go to bed. My right ear specifically. It is as if I could hear something from afar, though it might just be my head playing tricks on me." Lucy replied as Rose's jaw tightened.

"I see..." Rose whispered, deep in contemplation.

"Anyway, enough of that. There is something I am need to know." Lucy said as she caught Rose by surprise. "Oh? This is a first." Rose smiled mischievously.

"And here I thought there was nothing in the world that caught your interest! So do tell me and this big sister will help you!" Rose proudly proclaimed as Lucy hesitated to speak.

Her eyes moved from side to side, ensuring they were alone. In a quiet voice, Lucy whispered so softly that the wind almost drowned out her voice.

"Are there any news from the monsters?" Rose's face immediately hardened as she sternly stared Lucy in the eyes.