Chapter 31

An: Happy holy week everyone! So so so so so sorry for the very late update! I was so busy with academic work and I keep rewriting the chapter as it came simply too fast or too slow or simply too repetitive. Thankfully I had finally found a decent compromise so I hope you all enjoy it!

Again, happy holy week!

֍

No, that wouldn't work either. The young man thought as he made his way towards the estate. Seth had been mulling over his plans to eliminate Jhavik and his sell swords ever since their encounter. Weighing the risks and the rewards, the young man could simply not come to a compromise.

Separating from Lucy and the others after the deed would have been the plan a month ago. Now... now it was becoming harder to choose. Everything had been so simple before. Earn capital, provide aid to those in need and spite the family. Simple yet such a rewarding and satisfying life.

All of it descended into chaos for one girl. One blunt, apprehensive, and awfully traumatized yet kind girl. And I'm risking it all for her. The thought could not help but bring a smile to his lips. What a steep price indeed. Seth quietly mused to himself as he continued walking.

For now, let's start simple. He quietly brood. 'Lucy, I need to avoid going here for some time because-' no, that wouldn't do. Seth shook his head. 'There is someone looking for you, we need to-' no, you dolt! You'll scare her needlessly! The young man sighed.

Why is this so hard? Seth pinched at the bridge of his nose. Just tell her to be careful. Kalva be damn, it's not that hard Seth! You are trying to avoid dragging her into this, that's just it. Making up his mind, Seth hastens his pace.

Still, would she even accept it? How would she even accept it if- ah... I'm here? The red hair blinked in confusion as he stood before the door. So consumed by his thoughts that he did not notice it until standing right before it. Well, let's get this over with. Seth sighed, knocking on the door gently.

You can do this, Seth. It is for her own good, after all. The door opened. There will always be next time to see... her... The words died on his tongue when he saw her. Her sapphire eyes and silver like hair were as brilliant as ever, yet that was not what caught Seth speechless.

It was her clothes. Lucy was not wearing her usual uniform, but rather a simple sleeveless light blue tunic with gray trousers. The changes were so simple, and yet Seth could barely believe his eyes. Though horrible scars marred her arms that he had not seen before, the young man did not notice it.

"H-hey," a quiet yet almost angelic voice dragged Seth back to reality. His eyes returned to a fidgeting Lucy, who steadily grew redder. "I-is something wrong?" Words finally returned to his lips.

"A-ah! N-no, it's all right. I just..." Seth met her gaze, swallowing his hesitation. "...you look b-beautiful." Silenced washed over the two as they avoided each other's gaze. Their ears felt hot as blood rushed towards their face. Hearts beating in a mix of excitement and nervousness as they tried to come up a response.

"H-hey-"

"D-do you-"

The two stuttered as their eyes widen. ""Ah."" It was their only response before they quietly fidget once more.

You can do this! Come on, just say it! Be a man!

"S-so..." Seth finally said, meeting her gaze. "...m-may I come in?" And then he smiled.

Lucy blinked before smiling back. "Of course, come in." And so he did.

֍