Chapter Twenty-Six

"Azari?" A small voice whispers in the dark. The wooden door creaks as it's pushed open and then closed again. I sit up on my bed, running a finger across both eyes to get the sleepiness out.

"Jupiter?" I mumble. And then yawn. Twice. It had been an exhausting week. Aislee had pushed me to what I believe is my maximum ability, and it got tougher and tougher each time. The rock in the pit of my stomach tells me we're close. Too close.

My brother climbs up the side of my mattress, not hesitating to sidle up next to me before shimmying down until the sheets cover his legs. I sigh, knowing tonight I'm losing some much-needed sleep.

I reach for the lantern hanging closest to my bed but the slightest touch on my arm stills me. "Don't."

I turn to him to ask why, urging my eyes to adjust to the dark so I can see him. When they do, my heart breaks for my baby brother. He stares back up at me, his blue eyes — appearing much darker in the lack of light — are brimming with tears.

Instantly I wrap an arm around him, "Jupiter! Buddy, what's wrong?"

He tucks his head into my side, muffling a small wail. "I don't wanna be here anymore!" He cries, "I wanna go back to Jas! And Mason!" He pauses to sniffle, lifting his head so he can see me again, "and Bryce."

I hug him tight, feeling every bit of what he's feeling myself. "I know, bud, I know. I do too."

He runs a finger across his nose. "Then why are we here? Bryce would let us come back. Wouldn't he?"

With a grin, I nod, "of course he would! But I don't think Aislee is letting us out any time soon."

"So it's true? She's being mean and keeping us here?"

I wonder suddenly how much he knows. Jupiter may only be five, but he isn't imperceptive. I know he pays attention as best he can, and he's so, so smart. I decide he should know the truth.

"Yes," I say softly, but the shimmer of bushes tears in his eyes stall me. "I-I-I don't know why though." How can I tell him she wants to murder his new family?

His eyes burn into mine. "I think you know. Azari why won't Aislee let us go?"

I glance at the ceiling, seeing no way out of this. "She wants our help. She wants us to destroy the wolves."

"No!" He cries, gripping my shirt in his fists. "She can't! I won't!" I admire his decisiveness about it so quickly. His loyalty is still strong to the pack.

When he calms down, he adds, "is that why anyone old enough to fly has been training?"

"Unfortunately."

"Can't we all decide to stop? Fight against Aislee instead?"

I smile a little, noting how alike he and I are. "I'm trying, but I don't know who would be on my side. Last time someone stood up to Aislee, they were banished."

He shrugs, appearing much more mature than even I feel right now. "Then we get banished, and fly back to Bryce!" His smile brings him to life, so proud of himself.

I squeeze him tight, effectively getting a giggle from him. "You're too smart, you know that?" I know what he plans couldn't work. Those banished were throwaways in Aislee's eyes. After the extensive hours of training I went through this week, she needs me too much to just throw me out the window and leave me in the dust. I think the only way was to wait for the battle to happen, and then ally with the wolves and go after Aislee. I can only hope other dragons will follow my lead.

The days training with Aislee continue, and Jupiter stays quiet. I'm beginning to think the only way to get away is to kill Aislee, but I don't think I could stomach killing someone like that, let alone my own sister — no matter the evil in her heart.

During the lessons I focus on the things she says, hoping something might slip through and alert me of her plans. At first she's careful, but by day seven, she tries to talk to me more. I mostly listen, and she doesn't suspect anything; I've always been quiet.

"I still think you should take a mate." She says suddenly while correcting the form of my fingers around the solid ball of lava floating above my palm.

I shake my head, but she ignores the motion and her eyes stay fixed on what I created.

"Azari, you're still a product of the old leadership, essentially making you an heir of sorts. If something were to happen to me, you would take over."

I hope so, I think dryly. Not that I necessarily desire to take her place, but anyone could do better than her right now.

She kept talking, mostly about me, but as the hours passed, I noticed that her target for this wasn't just wolves. It was a specific pack. I think back on all my conversations with Bryce or with Jasmine, but nothing comes to mind about a pack title. I suddenly am much more afraid she's targeting Bryce's pack. If she does, I can't help but think it's my fault.

"We're gonna get them back, you know. With abilities like these," she gestures to my palm, which now held a wild fire, "those Altai Peaks mutts shouldn't stand a chance."

I don't dare speak, but my concentration falters and the flames lapping the air in front of me, snap sideways. They simmer down into sparks as they hit the stone wall, landing in a small pile of ash on the floor.

Aislee watches it for a second before turning and giving me a look. With a sigh, I focus on bringing the flame back to my left hand. Using my right, I pull at the form, urging it to bend and change shapes. But it isn't budging, my mind filled with buzzing thoughts after her last sentence.

Is this all about revenge? Is her plan to take down the wolves stemming from losing our parents all those years ago? I shudder at the chill running down my back and the flames suddenly turn bright blue. I gasp and jerk my hand back, letting the fire drop to the floor. It lives for several seconds before burning itself out, no longer able to hold onto itself without my energy.

Aislee stared at the spot on the floor for several more moments after it's burned out. I stare at her and wait for her to explode. Instead, she merely whispers in a voice filled with awe.

"How did you do that?"

I cast my eyes down to the spot it had dropped to, even though the flames were gone. "I don't know."

"Azari, the flames turned to the color of my hair. It's like a splash of water hit it, but didn't put it out." Finally she meets my eyes, "do it again."

"Aislee I can't just -"

"Do it. Again."

My eyes narrow and I summon the flames — orange, like normal. I keep my eyes locked on hers, very tempted to chuck the fire at her head. That will solve all our problems!

Focusing on the blaze, I willed it to turn blue like it had before.

"C'mon. . ." Aislee urges with anticipation.

My concentration is so deep it creates a pounding headache in the middle of my head, and all the flames manage to do is burn brighter and bigger. Finally, I have to stop with a gasp. I bend over, nearly gagging from the pressure in my brain.

"Too much," I tell her, "I'm done." Not waiting for a response, I back out of her room and dart down the hall. My shoulder bumps the wall a few times as I try to get a bearing of my surroundings. Collapsing on my bed, I lean over and spew up every last bit of substance in my stomach.