Chapter Eighteen

"Wh-what?" I stutter as I pull back. This time she's smiling, and she reaches up to wipe her tears from her face.

She shrugs, "it's been playing in my mind for a little bit, but I was afraid. I didn't know if the connection was real, and I was terrified you'd find me horrifying when you realized what I was. And I was scared you would be upset that I've been hiding half of myself from you this whole time."

I grab her hand, stopping the words from tumbling so quickly out of her mouth. "Do you realize you talk a lot when your nervous?" I chuckle, "or you don't speak at all!"

She smiles sheepishly and I peck her nose, making her giggle. Suddenly, I feel like there are absolutely no secrets between us; we're free from the hiding, the shyness, and the distance. I can truly be her mate!

"It's okay to be afraid." I tell her softly, earning a small smile in return. "I was afraid too." She rolls her eyes at that. "No, really!" I insist, "meeting my mate was terrifying, I didn't know how you would feel, now you would act towards me, if you'd even want to get to know me!"

She laughs, and the sound is complete music to my ears. "And then I made it ten times worse."

"Stop saying things like that." I meet her eyes and she blinks in confusion. "You didn't make it worse, you made it an adventure. You know, if I had a regular wolf for a mate, things would be quite boring."

She giggles and shakes her head until she suddenly stiffens against me. "Wait, you were terrified to meet me?" I nod, realizing she's backtracking in our conversation. "Did you know I was here before you saw me?"

I gulp, suddenly realizing I've slipped a little. "I saw Jasmin walking you home from the Doctor's and I was curious because I didn't recognize you — and I know my entire pack."

"You were those green eyes!" She whispers hoarsely and I tilt my head. She meets my eyes again and laughs. "That was you!"

"What are you talking about?"

"The first day, when I got home —" I smile that she calls it her home — "I looked out my bedroom window. Two green eyes stared back from a couple streets over."

I give he a sheepish look. "I knew you were my mate that day. So, I begged my parents to formally meet the kids the Terry's had brought home."

"Well, I'm glad you did." She whispers and buried her head in my neck again, making my wolf purr in delight.

Capturing the moment, we stay like this for several minutes. Finally, my mind drifts to how long we've been out here. I need to warn the pack about those wolves.

"C'mon," I say, shifting so she sits up. "Let's get going."

She moves away slightly before helping herself up. Suddenly I realize she's in the same clothes as before she shifted. I give her a strange look and glance at her outfit.

She grins, "I don't shred clothing when I change."

"Lucky!" I grumble, gesturing to the sweatpants I found in the woods.

She takes a step towards the picnic basket before crying out and nearly tripping. I'm at her side instantly. "Az?"

"My foot." She whimpers a little and I remember those wolves biting at her feet. I'm worried she got seriously injured.

I sweep her up into my arms and she squeals. "Bryce, I'm fine! It's just a —" she lifts her foot towards her face to examine it. "Oh. I'm bleeding."

I glance at her worriedly and she just grins at me until I chuckle. "Stop, you're injured. We need to get you to the Pack Doctor."

Azari shrugs. "If you put me back down, I'll just heal myself."

I nearly drop her. "What?"

"Remember the day we met?"

"Yeah. What about it?"

"Aaaand I set myself on fire. Did you ever notice my snapped leg was suddenly fine?"

I gape at her in amazement. "You can heal yourself just like that?" She nods. "What the hell?! That's so unfair! Thanks a lot, Selene!" I shout at the sky. Azari throws back her head and howls with laughter.

"Alright let me down and step back." She orders when she calms down. With my wolf arguing at me to do the opposite and just run her home, it's difficult to finally set her on the grass and let go. Within seconds, fire has engulfed her completely.

The wall of flames climbs higher and higher and I notice a shadow of a wing in the midst of it all. Her dragon was actually healing her! Just before the fire spreads enough to touch a tree, it's out, the final hiss fading in the wind.

She's curled in a ball on the grass, and every muscle in my body screams to go help her. But not a second goes by before she's on her feet and beaming at me. "Alright, I'm good now."

I laugh walk over to grab her hand, leading her into the woods and towards the Pack. She glances behind us at the blanket and food.

"Wait, what about our stuff?"

I shrug and don't even turn to look. "I'll have someone come take care of it tonight."

She looks concerned, but doesn't fight me on it.  We walk in silence until we can see the Tarry's house up the road. "I had a wonderful time today." She says quietly, "you know, before the wolves attacked. And after."

I grin and squeeze her hand. "Me too. And I'm glad I got to see who's behind the fire in you."

I discretely notice her peeking at me under her lashes. "Kenna," she whispers.

"Huh?"

"My dragon. Her name is Kenna."

I smile wider, "well then I'm glad I got to meet Kenna today!"

She giggles and we walk up the driveway to her front porch. She reaches for the door handle, but I spin her back around before she touches it. Not wasting a moment, I lower my lips to hers and give her a gentle kiss.

"Until next time," I whisper as I pull away, letting go of her hand and walking to my car. Before I get in, I glance back at her, waving goodbye. I chuckle when she just stands incredibly still, stunned by the kiss. I can tell she isn't unhappy with it, just surprised by it.

I pull out of the driveway and as I head down the street, I see her finally go inside. A sharp breath escapes me, and I feel almost lightheaded with happiness. But by the time I pull up to my own house, a feeling of uneasiness creeps to my bones.

Those wolves that attacked us, I have to get it the bottom of why and how they got through our borders. What if the pack was unsafe now? With a sigh, I get out of my car and walk to the front door. Just as I'm about to go inside, a flash of blue goes by in my peripheral view, disappearing into the surrounding trees.