Chapter Thirty

The wolves don't instantly break their form like I was expecting when Aislee dips her head in surrender. Well, not all of them. One wolf does.

Bryce, having now shifted runs across the deserted plain, hurdling over the dry brush and small boulders to get to me. He's somehow found a pair of basketball shorts to wear, but no shirt. Honestly, I'm okay with that. Instantly, I blush at my own thoughts. Stop it, not now!

He slows as he reaches me, and by that point I'm just impressed he did that barefoot. Those pebbles are brutal! When he gets here, my hand is engulfed in his and his eyes scan me from head to toe several times over. "Are you okay?"

I nod and he gives me a look. Rolling my eyes, I lift my shirt a few inches to reveal the slashes left across my torso. "It only hurts when I twist or bend." I see Aislee wince, knowing it was from her claws. But I'm sure I left marks on her too.

She turns and whispers something to Tai, who has shifted and is standing next to her. He nods and jogs off towards the rest of the dragons and wolves, announcing for everyone to find their families and start taking care of wounds. I also can hear him apologizing to pretty much anyone he talks to.

Bryce pulls my attention back to him. "Can you heal?"

I shake my head, "my dragon is too worn out. We should help." I start to move, but he pulls me back to him. I squeak as his arms snake around me and my feet no longer touch the ground. He breathes deeply into my neck and I wrap my arms around him and hug him back. Thinking back to when I ran off into the woods during the soccer game, I know his wolf just needs to reassurance of my safety, of my presence.

His lips find mine and I let us disappear into the moment, my body becoming limp with exhaustion and relief to be back in his arms. When he pulls away, my eyes fill with tears I wasn't expecting.

"I'm sorry."

His eyebrows furrow, "for what?"

"When Aislee came to the pack, I went with her. Willingly. I, I ached to be home, to be in the Caves again and I barely even thought about what that would do to you. To us." I bury my face in my hands, "it was a huge mistake, and I realized that soon after getting here. I shouldn't have left you like that."

He peels my hands off my face and tilts my chin up. "Hey, it's okay. You longed to be home, I could see it in your eyes sometimes. They would find the mountains on the horizon, you know. And the mate thing is new to you, so don't be sorry. I'm not mad. Though, I did panic when no one could find you and anyone able in the pack has been searching since."

I wipe at my eyes, "really? I didn't know the wolves knew who I was. Besides Jasmin's family and yours of course."

He smiled, "you're the future Luna, of course they know."

My heart jumps when he says that, but I can't be afraid of the title. I'll have Bryce. And Kiera. Smiling, I kiss him again before he lets me drag him to the rest of the crowd.

I'm thrilled when I see dragons helping wolves and wolves helping dragons. Many are talking with smiles on their faces. As we walk, anyone I identify as Altai Peaks pack members, I shake their hand, ask them how they are, and express my gratitude for their help and shift in attitude against the dragons and the Irtysh Waters Pack.

Eventually, the Alpha appears and he dips his head to us both. "I'm sorry, about that day in the woods when we attacked you two. I was looking for a war between our packs — an unnecessary war — and it was stupid really."

Bryce stuck out his hand, "agree to leave each other in peace?"

"And the dragons!" I add, sticking my hand out too.

The Alpha grins, shaking both mine and Bryce's outstretched hands. "Peace, I promise."

He leaves then, heading towards the forest. His wolves follow immediately, despite their injuries. Because I was watching them go, my eyes were still on the trees when I see a woman walk out from them, a child on her hip.

"Jasmin!" I call and she lights up as she sees me. Jupiter squirms in her arms and she lets him run ahead. When he gets to us, he leaps not into my arms but into Bryce's. He laughs incredulously but embraces the child all the same.

"I knew you'd come back for us." He whispers and Bryce hugs him tighter.

"Of course."

Jupiter hugs me too, but less dramatically, saying he's glad I didn't die. Laughing, I kiss the top of his head, grateful that he stayed safe through it all.

"I can go back with Jasmin now?" He asks, letting go of me and clinging to Jasmin's leg.

I grin, "if that's okay with Jasmin."

She laughs and pats his back. "Of course you can come home, Jupiter. Mason will be so excited to see you!"

A smile stretched across my face and I grasp Bryce's hand in mine. If you had told me a year ago that I would be choosing to live with a pack of wolves over the mountain I grew up in, I would have called you insanis. But after losing my family five years ago, I know I've found my new family, my true family. With Bryce, with Kiera — who I can see talking with and helping her pack a few yards away — with Jasmin, and Cole and Mason. The Caves were no longer the home I belonged to, these people, these wolves were. And I couldn't be happier.