Chapter Twenty-Nine

With new determination, I scan the crowd of wolves more intently, ignoring everything but two black wolves. At first, I figure they're Kiera and Bryce, but after more thought, I hold back. Two packs here means two alphas here. Alphas were always black-pelted wolves. I remember learning this in history class at the pack's school.

Now, I study the two midnight wolves separately. If the fighting techniques alone didn't tell me which was Bryce, the overwhelming pull from my dragon did, directing my wingbeat towards him.

He's secluded, and doesn't seem too injured. The wolf is licking at a spot on his flank — a sign of a wounded spot — but I can't see any visible blood. When the wind from my wings rustles the tree leaves and tilts the tough grass he sits on, he springs to his paws and curls his lip. Shifting a few feet from the ground, I land with a thump and stumble, placing a hand on the ground to steady myself.

Instantly, his entire demeanor changes. As I stand and meet his eyes, his lip drops, his posture straightens, and his tail lifts in a happy wag. I notice the beginnings of a shift.

"Wait!" I hold my hand up in an effort to prevent the shift. "Stay in wolf form, I'm just here to tell you what's going on." His jowls slacken as if trying to argue with me. "And that I'm okay," I add, knowing his wolf ought to be beside himself with worry. I've lost count how long I've been gone, but long enough for the link between us to send the both of us — him especially — into a tailspin.

"I promise, I'm okay. But my sister is, is -" I can't think of the English word- "psychotici. She's basically holding me prisoner to use me for some of my abnormally enhanced abilities... against wolves."

His lips lift back into a snarl.

"I know I know. But I don't think it's about your pack. I think it's the pack that attacked us on our picnic; remember that?" His eyes shift to the side and I confirm what I'm already pretty sure about, "this is more than just your pack of wolves isn't it? These wolves are the Altai Peaks Pack, yeah? The ones that attacked in the woods? The ones that killed my parents?" A slight tinge of vengeance hits me when I say that, but I can't focus on that now. The wolves are not the enemy here right now. Aislee is.

He nods and his tail droops. So there, I was right. The extra on-slew of wolves aren't his.

"Okay. We need to get that pack on our side. But you won't survive against the dragons' magic. So I will take care of getting most of them to fight with us, not against. Our only target is Aislee, okay?" I stare him down in the eyes for this part. "If we can help it, no innocent dragon is to be injured or killed in the midst of this. And I would prefer my sister not die. She may be crazy and a sudden tyrant but she's still my sister."

I shift my stance so I can see the battlefield, praying no one is sneaking up on us while I fill him in. Everyone seems pretty occupied, but they won't switch sides and do what I hope without some encouragement. "Jupiter is hiding in the trees beyond that rise," I jab my thumb in the general direction, "I told him I would come get him when this is over, but I'm sure he'll be just as happy if Jasmin does." He nods, taking this all in. I'm not sure if I've ever said this many words to him before.

"Go find Jasmin, I'm not sure what her wolf looks like, and I'll go talk to the Altai Peaks Alpha."

Worry crosses his wolfy face and I reassure him. "It's okay, I can handle myself if he's a jerk. Go, and let's turn this around before too many are hurt or lost!"

He barks, sticking his snout forward to lick my cheek and I giggle, gently swatting him away. "Go he bounds off into the trees, away from the fight, his tail high and flying as he goes.

Shifting, I turn and launch myself back to the sky. This time it doesn't take long to find the other alpha, his black pelt the only one in a sea of grey and reds. I dive for him, peeling him off of another wolf at the same time as blocking the blow of a Fire from the air. He tumbles across the hard dirt, rolling a few times before he finds his footing. With a snarl, he pounces at me but I merely swat him back down. My full size way too much for him to conquer.