Chapter One

An arrow wizzes by my head, hitting the tree next to my ear. A squeal comes from behind me, and little fingers grip my tunic tightly.

"Curre!"

I take off running, zigzagging through the woods. I can see the mountains in the distance. That's my goal. Get to the mountains, and home will find us.

Tree splinters fly as another arrow sticks in the bark. I zigzag some more, trying to avoid the darts flying at me from behind.

"Get her you fools!" A shout comes from the side.

I nearly trip. He's speaking English. I'm farther from home than I thought.

Jupiter and I have been out in the wilderness for four years, ever since the Caves were attacked. My sister, Aislee was supposed to be with us, but we haven't seen her since that day.

I slip on the leaves as my mind tries to fall into memory. Now is not the time.

An arrow hisses through the air and I jerk to the left. My brother screams and I can feel a stinging sensation in my right arm.

"Erant 'iens mori!" Jupiter shrieks.

I will my legs to go faster, and the stinging in my arm becomes a burn. I bite my tongue to stop from screaming. I glance back to see about twenty men gaining on us, all armed with bows and arrows. A few, I notice, have knives.

I'm not sure exactly who is chasing us. My best guess is Hunters. I don't think Wolves would have bows. They'd be in their shifter form. In spite of the situation, I'm still more afraid of Wolves than I am of Hunters.

I stumble as my mother's words come back to me.

"Azari, Aislee will take care of you. But if something happens, I need you to promise me something." I nod, taking in her words, well aware they might be the last ones I'll ever hear from her.
"Don't forget who you are, or where you came from, okay? The wolf is your enemy, they can't be trusted. Stay away from the woods."

I've already broken part of that promise, as I'm running through a forest at this very moment. But I've been careful to stay away from Werewolves. Apparently we've been enemies for centuries. Wolves versus Dragons. Aislee used to tell me they were just jealous. They could shift, like us, but we had extra abilities.

Excruciating pain erupts in my calf. I cry out, falling forwards and letting go of Jupiter. "Salire!" I tell him.

I crumple to the ground and he leaps off my back, shifting mid-jump. I grimace, knowing how important it is to keep our abilities a secret. Jupiter is five, he doesn't understand. So I let him attack, my eyes becoming blurry.

I start to feel lightheaded, so I scan my body for injuries, starting with the obvious arrow lodged in my calf. I tug it out, yelping as I do so. I notice blood running down my right arm, but it isn't as bad as my leg.

Black dots dance at the edge of my vision and I fight it, keeping one eye on my brother.

Jupiter's dragon is a golden-blonde color. Chestnut brown spikes stick up along his spine, trailing all the way down to his tail. His eyes glow an electric yellow.

He opens his mouth, showing rows of tiny needle-sharp teeth. The Hunters huddle in front of him, a few trying to sneak past and get to me. Jupiter lets out a roar, stopping them each time, defending me. Pride for my baby brother rushes through me, but I'm close to passing out.

Hold on. My dragon, Kenna, tells me.

I'm losing it! I reply. Help me! But I know she can't. For us to heal, we'd have to surround ourselves in fire, and that might light the entire forest and bring us unwanted attention.

"Terraemotus!" I order.

Jupiter glances back at me, bobbing his head. He lowers to the forest floor and the ground shakes, threatening to open up. I hear him growl and the powerful earthquake rattles the ground.

I scream as I feel myself roll down a hill I didn't see before. And then it becomes steeper, and steeper, until it's nearly a cliff. "Jupiter!" I call as I fall down. "Stop messing with the terrain!"

The ground stops shaking and then I'm hitting it. Hard. A sharp crack echoes off the trees and everything goes dark.