Chapter Five

I roll away from the window, my heart pounding. Who was that? Why were they staring at me? For some reason, my heart longed to see who those bright green eyes belonged to.

You're being stupid! I scold myself. I shake my head to clear it and focus my attention to my injured leg. I wish there were another way to heal it that didn't have to do with fire.

I growl in frustration, staring at the cast that is supposed to protect the leg from further damage. Heal! I order it. Kenna chuckles from inside my head and now I'm angry. Shut up, I'm trying everything I can!

I think I'm staring too hard because the next thing I know, the cast is in flames. I curse under my breath and quickly put it out. I slump back in my chair feeling hopeless. I'm about to try again when a knock on the door makes me jump. I don't say anything and eventually the door cracks open. I'm surprised to see a little boy standing there; and it's not my brother.

"Um, Momma said supper is ready." He doesn't look me in the eye, and he sounds incredibly nervous. I give him a small smile and roll to the door. "Follow me." He says.

The little boy leads me down the hallway and turns to the right, where the room opens and a table is being set by Cole. The boy shows me to a seat and I get out of the chair thingy and hop on one leg to it, plopping back down. I'm surprised and slightly concerned how much energy that took. I've become weak.

Jasmin brings over a big pot of something that smells incredible. I think it's soup. "Jupiter!" She calls and I can hear the sound of little feet pounding down the stairs. He slides into a spot across from me. The boy from earlier sits next to me and Jasmin and Cole sit at the table's ends.

"Help yourselves." Jasmin tells us, "It's chicken noodle soup. And this is garlic bread." She points to the pot and then to a pan of bread that I didn't notice before.

I tentative take a piece of bread and place it on my place. "Gracias tibi." I say, and then feel my face go red as I realize I forgot to speak English.

Jasmin smiles, "Does that mean 'thank you'?" I blush harder and nod. "Well, I don't know Latin for 'you're welcome,' but you're very welcome. Would you like some soup?"

I nod again and hand her my bowl. She scoops some of the stuff from the pot into the bowl. She hands it back and I take a deep breath, concentrating with my senses to figure out what's in it.

The broth has a savory, salty tang to it and matches whatever meat is in the soup. I'm not familiar with the meat, but I think she mentioned it was something called chicken. I don't think I've ever had chicken.

Back home at the Caves, we mostly ate fish, occasionally turkey, mountain lion, goat, and stuff we can make with certain grains and milk.

I take a bite and immediately sigh. It was as good as it smelled. Jasmin giggles at my reaction. "You like it?" I nod vigorously before practically inhaling the rest of the bowl. I also haven't eaten in days!

I finish the bread as well and then turn to Jasmin. "Can I go to bed?" I ask softly.

She looks surprised I even talked at all, but then she nods. "Of course, honey. The more you rest, the better that leg will get."

I halfheartedly smile. Or, I think. I could just heal myself the easy way.

I help myself into my wheelchair, after declining Cole's offer to help, and wheel myself back to my room.

My room.

That feels weird. I haven't been able to call a place my own since the Caves. Not going to lie, it felt good. It feels even better to crawl into bed and under the covers.

I'm amazed at how comfortable the bed is, and I don't even bother to change out of my tunic or close the blinds. Instead, I go right to sleep.