Chapter Fourteen

I don't think, I just run. I run as far and fast as my legs can carry me.

"Azari!" I hear Bryce calling from the bleachers. Kiara's voice joins his.

"Azari, stop! Come back!"

I pay no attention. Except when I hear someone completely new say: "Is that fire?"

And then: "Is she creating it?!"

Tears blur my eyes, but when I glance at the ground, I can see the fire is still spreading with my feet.

Ah crap. Kenna! Help!

I'm on it! My dragon replies. When I glance down again, the fire's out. Thank goodness.

I stumble slightly and decide to focus back on my running. I'm not really sure why I'm running, but if I stop now and go back, the interrogation will just be worse. So I head towards the woods. My comfort; my home.

Bryce alert! Kenna says suddenly. I'm only a few meters short of the tree line.

Ugh! I think. He can't follow us in! Kenna, make sure this isn't spreadable; I don't want the whole forest on fire.

I slide to a stop and whirl around. And there he is, running after me, calling for me to stop. Kiara is only a little bit behind him.

I thrust my hands out in front of me and call upon the fire from inside me. When I release it, a wall of fire stands between me and my friends. Brushing off a tear, I turn and push my way into the forest, not looking back.

I run for another good five or ten minutes before I physically can't any longer. I collapse at the base of a giant oak tree, out of breath, out of energy, and even out of tears.

Kenna, I want to shift.

Yes! My dragon squeals excitedly.

I smile and sit up, not caring I'm covered in dirt. I'm ready. I tell her. I feel the transformation starting and stand all the way up.

I watch my hands, feet, legs and arms become scaly, and claws sprout from my fingertips. I feel a tail grow from behind me and wings erupt from my sides. When it's time for me to grow, become a full dragon, I fight it off, willing myself to stay little; if I'm big, they'll find me easier.

My tremors still and I'm on four legs. Sticking out my tongue, I see it's split and snake like. When I breathe out, a small flame appears in front of me. I grin in a dragon-like way. I've shifted.

I turn in small circles, enjoying the form I haven't been in for months. I stretch up on two legs and examine myself.

My scales shine dark red, while my spikes and claws give me black accents. I unfold my wings and see black spines with bright red, transparent webbing.

I also realize I'm miniature. I must've used too much energy fighting the growth that I shrunk to the size of a giant lizard.

Oops. Kenna says.

No, I like it! I tell her, flapping my wings a little. Let's fly!

I stay below the tree tops, to avoid a wolf sighting me, weaving in and out of the top branches. I twirl and flip through the air, laughing and squealing as I go.

I feel free!

Spreading my wings to a gentle glide, I breath in the scents of the forest and the wind. I sigh in content. It's like I was being suffocated in my own smoke, and now I've escaped it and I'm in fresh air again.

I've probably been flying around for hours at this point, and now the sun is almost down. I decide my head is cleared enough to shift back, and that Jupiter must be missing me.

With that thought, I return to the tree I originally shifted at and land softly on the ground.

I'm about to transform back into a human when a leaf crunches behind me. My head shoots up along with my ears, my tail, and my wings.

"Would you look at that!" A voice whispers. A voice I am all too familiar with now.

Sure enough when I whip around, I'm facing my two best friends crouched in the dirt.

"Hey, little guy!" Kiara whispers, slowly stretching a hand towards me.

Bryce immediately grabs her by the wrist. "Kiara!" He snaps, "Don't you realize what that is? It's probably fire breathing and dangerous!"

Kiara rips her arm from his grip. "But it's so cute. And if it's really a dragon, wouldn't it be a lot bigger and scary lookin'?"

I let out huff, but refrain from rolling my eyes. Ugh, why are they here?

"Kiara, c'mon, we gotta keep looking for Azari. We don't have time to play with wild dragons; the sun is nearly gone!"

My friend rolls her eyes, but reluctantly stands up, following her brother off into the woods. Once they are a good ways away from me, I hear them call my name and decide to shift back. Checking no one is in sight or hearing distance, I quickly morph back into human form.

I stand up and brush loose strands of hair from my face. When I'm satisfied, I head off into the woods in a wide circle, that way it doesn't look like I'm coming from the same spot they saw the dragon. Well. . . Me! I giggle to myself.

I skirt around a thick tree and bump right into Bryce.

"Azari!" He exclaims, catching me by the arms so I don't fall.

I duck my head, "Oh, hey guys." I say quietly. 

"Hey," He says, lifting my head by the chin with his fingertip. "About what happened at the Field, don't worry about it! Everything's okay."

I sigh. "I'm still sorry. I've been distracted today and I shouldn't have set the ball on fire, or stopped you from coming after me. I just needed to breathe."

Kiara wraps her arms around me in a tight hug. "We're sorry we ran after you screaming like maniacs. That probably didn't help, huh?"

I smile at her and shake my head. "Probably not. But I appreciate you guys trying to help!"

When Kiara steps back, Bryce swoops in, actually picking me up off the ground.

"Hey!" I squeal as he starts walking back towards the Pack Houses. "What's this for?" I catch Kiara grinning at us from behind her brother, and I can feel Kenna doing the same inside my head. Ugh! Stop it!

She doesn't answer me.

"Bryce!"

I feel his arms tighten his hold on me. "Shh. Just. . .let me. Please? My wolf needs it."

I'm still in his grip and lean back to look in his eyes. I tilt my head and give him a strange look, but I decide not to question it. He and his wolf must've been worried about me out in the woods. I guess I didn't think about that.

So, I decide to enjoy this as well. I adjust myself so my legs wrap around his waist and my head rests in the crook of his neck. Sparks fly where my nose touches his skin and I smile.

Okay, I can get used to this feeling.