Chapter Ten

I rapidly blink my eyes as they try to adjust to the harsh light above me. Oh no. I think. Am I back at the Doctor's? I hope not.

When my eyes stop burning and I can see, my other senses flood back as well. I'm under a blanket, but I'm not on a bed. I slightly turn my head and suddenly everything I was just thinking goes out the window.

To the side, in the living room — that means I'm at Jasmin's — stands three figures. Kiara, Jasmin, and Bryce. I zone in and catch the last of Jasmin's sentence.

"-a wolf. She's a wolf and she knows this is a pack of them and she didn't say anything."

I widen my eyes. I think they're talking about me. I think they're trying to figure out what I am.

I know I told Bryce I'd explain everything before I healed myself. But now I regret saying that. I do not want to share my deepest secret to these people. Even if I feel like I have a super strong connection to a certain someone.

"She's not a wolf." I flick my eyes to the said certain someone.

"What?" Jasmin says.

"She can't be a wolf. I mean, can wolves summon fire like that? Only royals have powers and if she was a Royal, we would've smelled it." I flinch at his words. They're figuring it out too fast.

Jasmin nods as she thinks this over. "But then, what is she? We know she's a shifter, thanks to her brother. But what kind?" What? Did Jupiter tell them something?

"Don't." I blurt, coughing as my throat feels like it's coated in gravel.

All heads whip around in shock.

"Azari!" Bryce exclaims, running over to me and gently grabbing my hand. "Are you okay?"

I nod, and I don't pull away from his oddly comforting touch.

Kiara walks over as well while Jasmin dashes to the kitchen. I hear her pour some water into a glass.

Kiara crouches down and I'm forced to look her in the eye. "Don't what, Azari?"

I shake my head slightly. I can't tell them what I am. I may be loosening up and letting down some of my walls, but that's going to far. At least for now. "Don't guess. I won't tell you. I can't."

Kiara sighs in understanding, but I can see it in her eyes that she's dying to know. Bryce keeps quiet, but he squeezes my hand. Sparks shoot up my arm and I widen my eyes at our entwined hands, not expecting that.

I flick my eyes up at Bryce, who is also looking at our hands. "There they are." He whispers.

My mouth drops open; I'm so confused. "There what are?"

Bryce just smiles at me and then a glass of water is placed in front of me. "Thank you," I tell Jasmin and Bryce helps me sit up so I can take a sip. The liquid washes down the gravel feeling and I sigh in content.

Jasmin pulls two chairs over, sitting in one and offering the other to Kiara. When I glance over at her, her face has gone serious.

"Azari, I know it's not natural for you to instantly trust us, and I know you don't want to share what you are, but could you give us something? Anything? We want to get to know you; we want to help."

My eyes flick down to my lap. I don't want to, but I know I need to. I won't share too many details, in case I'll ever get the chance to go home, but I guess I could give them a little something.

"How about your home?" Kiara offers. "In the car you mentioned a place called The Caves. What is that?"

I peek up at her, keeping my voice soft. "My home. The place I was born, where I grew up, where I learned to fight, shift, survive." I pause, thinking about what exactly I should tell them.

"It's like a serious of underground tunnels. Each family has their own quarters. I shared a room with my sister, while Jupiter still slept in my parent's room. Each one of us has special roles, it's a system for the whole community. My father happened to be a leader. My mother was his. . . helper, I guess."

Bryce tilts his head. "You say that in past tense. Is it just because you're not with them anymore?"

I duck my head. Do not get emotional. "I'm pretty sure they're gone."

Kiara covers her mouth, and I know she feels bad for me. I try not to pay attention to her pity.

"Gone? As in. . ."

I nod. "Gone."

Kiara leans over and wraps her arms around me in a tight embrace. A hug I didn't know I needed until she gave it to me. "I'm so sorry! Are you sure that's what happened?"

I nod. "I mean, if they were still here wouldn't they have come looking for us? Wouldn't they have at least tried to find me?"

Bryce squeezes my hand again, and this time I welcome the electricity that circles our fingers.

"And you had to run, because you were being attacked. Right?" Jasmin pipes up.

I nod solemnly, not looking any of them in the eye. "It was wolves." I whisper.

Bryce growls and Jasmin gasps. Kiara looks like she has no idea what to say for once.

"You know, don't you? That's why you told Jupiter to be cautious of us the first day. You're afraid to get close to wolves, and you have a terribly sad, but good reason." She tentatively reaches out and squeezes my arm.

Using the hand that isn't holding mine, Bryce gently grabs my chin and forces me to look him in the eye. "It wasn't us, okay? This pack doesn't attack without an excellent reason. Do you know which pack did that to your. . . Community?" I shake my head and he sighs, letting go of me. "It's probably those mutts from the Altay Peaks Pack."

I shrug, I don't know wolf pack names! I just know we called ourselves the Altai Dragons.

C'mon! Kenna pops up out of nowhere. Just tell them!

No.

Whyyyy? She whines. You know you trust them. And I think you have an idea why, you're just afraid to act on it.

I don't know what you're talking about. I argue.

But you do! She sings back, and I roll my eyes at her.

Kenna!

Look, you know he'll still love you after you reveal your big secret, so might as well just get it over with, yeah?

I sigh at her argument. And then I freeze. Wait, what?!