Once Beaten, Twice Shy

The school bell rang. It was time for lunch. Adrian and his new friend, John Stewart, took their food trays to a corner to eat. He turned, watching Ashley from afar. No one knew they were neighbors. Adrian won’t tell anyone. They haven’t even had a conversation yet.

“Tell her already, Adrian! Ask her to prom.” John persuaded.

“Prom? Forget it, I can’t ask her to prom! Ash would never accept... I don’t want to get embarrassed like the other guys.” He looked around in curiosity and replied in a low tone, so John would reduce his voice, too.

“But it’s clear that you love her. You barely concentrate in class because she’s there. If you don’t ask her now, you might lose a chance.” John pointed out with unblinking, eye contact.
“Adrian, you’ve been over Ashley Hill since you transferred to this school. All the insects in Whittier High can testify to it. Won’t it be cool that you at least, try? This is an opportunity, go grab it by its head!”

“I want to try but... What do I tell her?” Adrian frowned.

“Meet her first and say hello.”

Stealing another glance at her not to get caught, Jason Andrews, one of the best football players in Whittier High School, walked up to Ashley and gave her a soft peck.

She blushed as they started a conversation. Denis King-Ash’s best friend and Fabian Charms-Jason’s friend started a gist. Looking at the pair, they were so engrossed with each other, forgetting they were in the cafeteria.

Adrian looked away immediately, closing his eyes tight and praying not to see any more of them.

“They’re so good together. I’m no good.” He explained to John with a hand covering his face.

“You are better than those bullies. Do what you have to do, okay? See their swagger, their charms, and they're financially dependent.”

“But I’m not financially independent. She won’t get impressed.” Adrian pointed out.

“Not all girls care, though. How would we know if you don’t try? You are the guy, Adrian. Not the girl. Talk to her.” John raised an eyebrow while Adrian adjusted his glasses before rising to his feet.

“Okay, bye,” Jason told her before they parted ways.

“See ya!” Ashley replied and giggled along with her friend. They went to pay for their meal. Just then, Ashley tapped on the side of her jeans. As if something was missing. She checked her bag over and over.

“Hey, Ash! Is everything alright?” Adrian interrupted, raising an eye brown in concern.

“I can’t find my wallet! So annoying!” She hissed. Denise wanted to pay, but Ashley was adamant about collecting the cash from her bestie.

“Where did you keep it?”

“I’m sure I kept it here just now.” She continued searching for her tiny black handbag.

“Don’t worry, I’ll pay for it.” Adrian flipped a $10 note to the cashier and asked her to keep the change.

“Awwwn... What can I say?” Ashley blushed with sparkle while her slim fingers brushed through her honey-blonde hair. “Thank you.”

Adrian smiled with both eyes and lips as he watched Ashley, and Denise walk into the crowd. It got him lost at the thought of what had just happened.

“That was easy.” He said to himself and 'tsk!' A hot blow landed on his jaw.

Adrian noticed nothing at first until a drop of blood trickled out of his mouth.  His puzzled eyes raised at Jason’s angry face in front of him. John, who was walking towards him a while ago just ran away like a scared cat. Other students surrounded the both of them, ready to watch how the drama was going to unfold. With their wide and curious eyes staring at them.