The Aftermath

“And Alas! The great protector of Wolfsberg! The beast, standing tall on the highest mountain.” The man, inviting, was the first person to catch the sight.

“Behold, the Alpha wolf of Wolfsberg! The beast, standing tall on the highest mountain.”

Adrian and Maria got to the fest right in time. Stormie was already on the highest mountain. She slit out Jerry’s throat and cut out his monstrous head, which was in vampire form. Showing it to everybody. They cheered at her, admiring her bravery and courage. Some children yelled at her for joy as she held the vampire lord’s head for everyone to see. Then she threw it into the night air, in the graveyard's direction. To warn other vampires away.

“Owwww! Owwww!! Owwwww!!!”

She kept on howling, warning off any more vampires that might lurk in the night. The moon brightened the night sky, making it feel like a day.

“That is my daughter. The Alpha Beast of Wolfsberg.” Jessica cried in the crowd. She stood right beside Sir Shkodra.

“It’s her destiny. Is it hard to believe?”

“I’m getting used to it,” Jessica replied, with a small smile. “It's just a lot of responsibility for a 14-year-old girl.”

“Girl is no longer girl, Mrs. Knight. The girl is now the leader.”

“Howl!” Stormie's wolf growled louder.

“Stormie!” Jessica hailed from where she was standing.

“I said it? The Alpha Beast would show up!” Paul told his granddaughter, Suzy.

“Yeah, grandpa. Seeing is believing.” She snapped at him, crushing on the bubble gum in her mouth and taking a picture. She shared it to her social media handles and tagged, #fullmoon #Wolfsbergalphasaga.

"There’s something I want to ask.” Maria brought up.

“Yes. You can ask me anything.” Adrian gave the go-ahead.

“What happened to the guy I first met? The shy, innocent one.”

He chuckled into a soft laugh as if  Maria had just said a joke. “I’m sorry, but... I’m never going to be the guy you met in the shop that day.”

“I understand. As long as he’s not completely gone.”

“No, he isn’t,” Adrian replied, holding her hand. Maria, I am still the same person. I came to Wolfsberg, and it changed me. I feel at home.

“It’s okay. Sometimes, change is good.” She told Adrian and held him in a side hug, watching the Alpha wolf.

“Where is your sister?” Maria asked.

“She’s fine. She watching us from somewhere.” He explained as they ended up staring into each other’s eyes. Maria timidly looked away, while Adrian smirked at her attitude.

Later that night, they walked home, discussing. Even the crickets and frogs had gone silent.

“You are an exceptional girl, Maria.” Adrian opened up. “I have some questions for you.”

“Really?” she gave a tight lip to his words.

“Yes... I’m curious to know about you. I know that man wasn’t your true dad. Who is he?”

“Tobias is my foster dad. I don’t mean to be rude, but sincerely, he deserves a death like that. They agreed to care for me when I was only 10. Tobias stabbed his wife, Muni. She was pregnant with their baby. By then, I was 13. I had to keep her death a secret. He was always drunk because he lost his job at the Miller. After he killed his wife and child, he still kept on blaming himself. And I had to suffer the consequences, so... I just stayed with him. Well... There’s another thing.” Maria pointed out.