Proposing A Proposal

The night whispered in softer sounds, with cats chasing rats, scattering from tree to tree. A rustle of dried leaves blew as their white BMW jeep, like a ghost, passed the dark curtained night.

It didn’t take long till Adrian packed in front of their house. When the roaring engines died, Adrian was the first to step down. Others climbed down after him with chuckles of laughter. It had been a fun-thrilled night at the cinema. The family joked before entering, and Harry gently pulled Jessica aback by the arm. Others turned back at them but she signalled they go in. Opening the front door, Stormie, Adrian and Maria hid by the side of the door, watching them with curious eyes from behind.

“Umm... I just needed a time with you alone. There’s something I need to tell you, Jessica, and I need to tell you now because the more I keep it to myself, the more I get uncomfortable holding it up.”

“Okay...” She turned to him, interested.

“I haven’t done this before so, pardon me. We’ve known each other for a while now. I haven’t been in a relationship because I feel so awkward and wrong but with you, Jessica. Everything feels right. I’ve been a secret admirer for about five months now and meeting you was a dream come true.”

“Secret admirer?” Stormie whispered, trying hard not to laugh.

“Shhhh!” Adrian cut in. “Let’s listen.”

“Wha...What are you trying to say?” Jessica asked, with a suppressed laugh.

He knelt down with one knee and brought out a small box from his side pocket. He opened it and there was a diamond ring in it. Harry raised his gaze at her happy eyes. It glittered as tears of joy suddenly washed down her eyes. She wiped it off with the heels of her hand, staring back at him, holding back the tears.

“What I’m trying to say is that you are my North, my South, my East and West. You are the sun of my morning and the night to my day. I can’t spend one more day without you, Jesse. You are hardworking, intelligent and independent. I love the feeling and the butterflies I get when I see you smiling. And I would love to smile for the rest of my life too. So, I say it’s a yes?”

She placed a hand over her eyes to hide the tears, but she couldn’t stop herself from the joy welling up inside of her.

“Say yes!” Stormie cut the silence.

“Say, yes! Say yes!! Say yes!!!” Adrian and Maria joined, clapping for her to accept his proposal.

“Yes, Harry. I want to be with you, too.” Jessica replied him, wiping off the joyful tears. “I accept your proposal.”

With a glad heart, Harry fixed the ring on her middle finger and planted a kiss on her hand. It amazed the kids at how beautiful they were, with smiley faces. Jessica held up to raise on his feet. They leaned close to each other with happy eyes and fulfilled smiles. Harry held her closer than his fingers wiped out the tears from her eyes. About to share a kiss, Jerry came out of the dark with Conan by his side. He pushed him towards the coupled and everyone turned in his direction, flabbergasted.

“You are alive?” the words dropped off Jessica’s mouth in total shock. “What... What are you doing here?"

Grrr!” Stormie’s wolf groaned. His presence torments her breathing. Adrian felt the same, but Maria held them back.

Jerry raised a hand, signaling Conan to stop at a distance. He didn’t want to get closer, either.

“What are you doing here?!” Jessica snapped. “Are you here again for my kids?!”

“Who is he?” Harry asked, puzzled in the circle and noticing that the joy in Jessica’s eyes were lost.

“No... Not that, Jess. I came back to you. It’s unfortunate indeed, I lost the manor, but I don’t want to lose you too. I still love you, Jess. Forgive me and give me a chance.”