Howling

The secret door to the laboratory creaked as it opened. Sir Shkodra, in his black suit and tall, trimmed figure, stepped in with his shoulder back and chin up.

He flashed his touch light with squinted eyes. Focused on the hook and cronies in the room. Sir Shkodra’s black Oxford shoes faves knock to the marble floor as he approaches.

“Let's duck. Duck!” Stormie whispered as they hid by the door with their knees on the ground.

Adrian turned his flashlight so Sir Shkodra wouldn’t notice. Then he heard something and walked to the door. Pointing his flashlight through the glass, he looked vividly at the room, knowing there was no single shelf for them to hide. He peeped carefully and listened to the grave silence.

Adrian and Stormie held their breaths, knowing at a point they would have to give up. Adrian tried hard not to breathe, feeling his pounding heartbeats that might be heard. It was icy cold in the room and there were only two long tables on both sides. Each held over a thousand tubes of blood samples.

Adrian and Stormie held still until he turned back. Sir Shkodra’s hazel, green eyes rolled up and sideways. He peeped under to marble table but there was no one there. His thick, rough eyebrows raised and joined in unison. Sir Shkodra’s frown was one to avoid. He checked around and around and finally stepped out.

“Do you think he’s gone?” Adrian asked, observing nothing.

“I don’t know,” Stormie replied. Then the door closed.

“This place strangely feels odd. Can you hear that noise?” Adrian asked. “It’s disturbing.”

Stormie just opened her eyes. It was so dark, she couldn’t see anything.

Adrian turned on his flashlight, and it didn’t work. His finger shivered at the switch.

“What’s wrong with this torch? What is happening?” he snapped. Adrian was curious to know what was in this secret room. Probably dead human skeletons or living ghosts. If that even exists.

Then, Stormie opened her laptop in hand. Increasing its brightness, she realized the network was fully active.

Facing it up, they saw something strange.

“W... What’s that?” Adrian quivered.

The gurgling croak, and squawk much deeper and more musical than a crow’s simple, scratchy caw. 

Squinting closer, they saw the blackbirds and wondered what they were.

“RAVEEEENNNSS!.... AH!!!!!!” Adrian and Stormie screamed out their lungs in terror. “HELP!!!!!!”

All the ravens, about a thousand or more, scattered to the sound and scratched Adrian and Stormie. In confusion, the flock of eagle-sized ravens forcefully squawks against them. The siblings busted out of the darkroom in a long, endless race, screaming for help as if chased by death.

“There were about a million test tubes filled with blood in that dark, horrible room. Why is blood stored in the Wolfsberg Manor? Like seriously... How would someone have a room filled with blood and ravens in their house?!” Adrian enraged. “Except if she was a witch or something!”

“That was a secret room, okay? And this house belongs to Madan Magdalena Novak of Wolfsberg. She must have been an extraordinary person to have owned this castle.

“Aww!” Adrian cried.

Stormie pressed a piece of cotton wool to the mid-met of his bottom foot.

“Aw! Aww!!”