Chapter 4: Wake Me - Beomgyu

Beomgyu wakes to a dark room.

He's scared. Without even thinking to remember where he is, his body begins to shiver. The shadows in the room elongate, and he has no fluorescent lights to guide his sight. The air is too cold, too dry. His lips are chapped, and his body is itchy all over.

He turns over and gasps.

Someone is sitting on the bed closest to the window.

"It's me," Yeonjun says, his voice soft. "Beomgyu, it's me."

Beomgyu blinks several times. His vision adjusting, he makes out Yeonjun in the green scrubs that are identical to his own. "Hyung."

"What's wrong?" Yeonjun says, rising and drifting to Beomgyu's side.

All of a sudden, like he was dipped into the waters of the Arctic, shivers take over his body. Beomgyu feels like all his control is lost, and all he can do to stay afloat is to grip his blanket as tightly as possible.

Dread fills his mind, in the same place rational thoughts should be. He can't control how his heart empties out, as if his vitality is draining out of a fatal wound. Tears well in the corner of his eyes, then fall as he struggles to sit up. Sobs rake through Beomgyu's body. He's never felt such terrifying sadness. One that threatens to eat you—dark thoughts like piranhas nipping at him from places he cannot see.

After a minute or so of Yeonjun frantically rushing about him, Yeonjun finally calls for the nurse, pounding on their locked door to alarm those on the night watch.

Beomgyu can barely breathe. He inhales large gulps of air, as if taking in fresh water after an entire day in the Sahara. A nurse is at his side quickly, checking his vitals. She rushes back in again, this time holding a pill and a paper cup of water.

"To calm you," she says, in a measured tone that shows her experience. Beomgyu feels he could trust her.

Plus, Yeonjun is looking over the nurse's shoulder, practically begging him to get better quickly.

The pill works quickly, giving him the sensation of floating, of the air calming around him like a storm leaving the waters. He lies back, watching the nurse give him a final check before leaving the room. Now that he's alone with Yeonjun again, the older boy grabs his hand, kneeling on the ground beside him.

Beomgyu is still angry. What Yeonjun did was reckless and stupid. But at the same time, gratefulness wells up inside him—spreading like the effects of the pill. His best friend wanted to be here for him. In his darkest hour. That is true friendship.

He sinks back into sleep.

He dreams of Yeonjun holding him. It's one of his recurring dreams. The air is speckled with cherry blossoms, the spring breeze ruffling through his hair. They stand together at the edge of a lake. Yeonjun's grip is strong around him. Tall mountains with snowy caps surround the peaceful clearing. The wind whistling through the leaves creates a song Beomgyu can never replicate when he wakes.

When Yeonjun squeezes his hand, Beomgyu squeezes back.

What is your favorite TXT comeback? I have to say, the minisodes captured my heart, and The Dream Chapter: MAGIC gave me life and still does