Chapter 15: Colors - Yeonjun

It's becoming harder for Yeonjun to keep up the ruse. Doctors continue to question his need to stay in the ward, and nurses eye him suspiciously, as if in time they'll see through his crime. But he does manage to stay, as he pleads over and over that he feels like a danger to himself.

It is true. If something happens to Beomgyu, he will be walking danger.

Yeonjun takes his breakfast without Beomgyu. Lately, Beomgyu has been getting up in time for lunch, which is a vast improvement. Still, he sneaks an apple or orange, along with some pastries, for Beomgyu to eat as soon as he gets up.

Huening Kai is in tears at their usual table, Taehyun trying to comfort him. "Soobin's symptoms got really bad," Huening Kai says through his gasps. "They put him in the quiet room."

Yeonjun passes by the quiet room each day, and he's heard that it's for patients who are out of control. If Soobin is in there, he can only imagine how bad the boy's condition has become.

"He'll be okay," Taehyun says. Both of their bowls of cereal are untouched.

Yeonjun munches on an apple danish, guilty that he can do nothing to help. "Soobin is strong. He'll get through it." Just like Beomgyu will get through it. He has to believe in the other's strength—faith will make it happen, as Beomgyu and his parents often say. Yeonjun only rarely accompanies Beomgyu's family to church, but lately he's been pleading more with God, as if religion is a part of his life.

"Beomgyu." Back in their room, Yeonjun hands over what he stowed away today—a banana and an oatmeal cookie.

Beomgyu takes them meekly. "Thank you," he says, taking a bite of the cookie. Crumbles fall down Beomgyu's chin and onto his pajamas. Yeonjun wants to reach out and brush them all away, but for now he's keeping his distance. He hasn't yet confessed, wanting Beomgyu to get better before they address their feelings. One major leap at a time.

"How are you feeling?" Yeonjun asks, sitting across on his own bed.

"A bit drowsy still," Beomgyu says. His words are drawn out slowly, as if he's trying to speak underwater. "And I feel a bit numb. Like I can't feel as much. Isn't the medicine supposed to make me happier?"

"Maybe it just needs some more time," Yeonjun says.

"It's been two weeks," Beomgyu says, sighing. "But maybe you're right. I might have to stay a month here. Or even longer."

"I'll be here too," Yeonjun says, as if he's holding out an offering in his open palms.

"Thank you," Beomgyu says quietly.

He's been saying that quite a bit. Yeonjun wishes that he'd stop saying that and get back to their usual banter. But he knows that won't happen so easily. Beomgyu has been through trauma, and healing is first priority. So Yeonjun will be gentle. "Don't mention it." And he'll respond to every thank you with the kindness his mother taught him before she passed away.

If you want people to love you, you have to be kind to them. Yeonjun's mother's voice, so soothing and warm, comes back to Yeonjun's memory. He must've been only eight when he heard that. It was so simple, but so true in a way that it would stick to him.

"I hope it's pizza for lunch," Beomgyu says, almost poutingly, after he finishes the cookie.

Yeonjun laughs, in a subdued way he's learned since coming to the ward. "Or else you'll have to put in a complaint."

Beomgyu smiles, some of the radiance returning. Yeonjun's heart flutters, as it always does when Beomgyu smiles at him. If Yeonjun could describe Beomgyu's smile in colors, it would be a bright gold. It would be the sunset in the last seconds before sinking below the horizon, a sight all would long for.

 It would be the sunset in the last seconds before sinking below the horizon, a sight all would long for

Been thinking again about how amazing it would be to have a Beomjun unit song. If they released a song, what would you want the concept to be? I imagine them doing a rap concept and trading verses. That would be stunning!