Chapter 10: Reverent - Beomgyu

The medication the doctors give Beomgyu makes him a bit sleepy. As he walks to dinner with Yeonjun, he struggles to keep his eyes open. One foot in front of the other. Don't reach out to Yeonjun's hand. No matter how much he wants to.

Taehyun, Soobin, and Huening Kai are waiting for them on the same table. Tonight's dinner is tomato pasta with snow cheese. Beomgyu hates tomatoes, but he'll allow them in pasta.

His appetite is a bit better. He eats to make up for the light breakfast and lunch he had earlier.

"I want to sleep all day too," Huening Kai says. "I guess it's just an effect of the medication."

"Well, being your roommate is a drag," Taehyun says after a bite of pasta. "Because you snore."

Soobin laughs loudest of them all. Beomgyu notices the tall boy is quite shy, and he feels an enormous amount of sympathy for him—along with the other two boys, who have been quick to attempt to be his friends. Yeonjun seems to like the three of them as well. Beomgyu makes a note to keep in touch with them even after their discharge. They'll have to exchange contact information.... Is that even allowed here?

"What are your dreams?" Beomgyu asks, as they slow down eating. The hospital gives quite big portions.

"I want to be an idol," Taehyun says.

"Same here," Huening Kai says, at the same time Soobin says "Me too."

Beomgyu has always believed in fate. This is another big proof. Yeonjun doesn't believe in God like he does, but the older boy doesn't mind when he prays before tests or before an evaluation of their performances. Beomgyu realizes that even if he didn't pray for this moment, God brought them here together. There's no doubt about it.

"I'm sure we'll all achieve our dreams," Yeonjun says, breaking the reverent pause in their conversation. "Together."

After dinner, Beomgyu heads out to the courtyard with Yeonjun again. This time, most of the patients are too tired to play sports.

A strange desire comes over Beomgyu. Some vitality returns, and he stands up before losing the nerve. "Choi Yeonjun will show you all a deadly performance!" he yells. "Please give it up for him!"

Yeonjun pulls at him with wide, uncertain eyes. "Beomgyu! What are you doing?"

Beomgyu smiles, sitting back down and lowering his voice. "It'll cheer everyone up. And it'll be good practice. If we really do perform on stage one day, you have to get used to the crowd."

A chant begins, started by Taehyun on the other side of the courtyard. "Choi Yeonjun! Choi Yeonjun! Choi Yeonjun!"

Yeonjun breaks out into a nervous grin.

Beomgyu knows his friend best. Choi Yeonjun may be shy at first, but he loves the attention. He comes alive in the heat of it, like an alchemist's metal turned to gold. It's why he's the it boy. It's one of the many, many reasons why Beomgyu loves him so much.

"Okay, okay," Yeonjun, pattering his hands in a calm down motion. "Can we get some music, please?"

One of the male nurses busts out his phone and Bluetooth speaker. Together, he and Yeonjun search for an appropriate song.

Sitting alone, Beomgyu has no control over the smile on his face. He always feels so incredibly elevated when watching his friend perform. He's only had the opportunity to perform with him several times—in the end of the year talent show at their creative arts school. It was an electrifying feeling. Now that he isn't fit for singing right now, he'd gladly watch Yeonjun burn the stage and leave every patient wanting an autograph.