Chapter 24: Winter's Breath - Beomgyu

Beomgyu walks across the lobby with unsteady legs.

He doesn't quite believe that he's finally out. It's been seven weeks in total, and at some points he believed he would never be discharged. His demons had grown too strong, his feelings wild and so painfully overwhelming.

But he made it. The doctors and nurses worked so hard so he could get better. He feels like stepping out into the world will repay them. Thank you. I will not let you all down.

The lobby is decorated with a real Christmas tree, perfuming the air with its holiday scent. Glass ornaments and chiffon ribbon complete the ensemble. Fairy lights hang from every straight edge. He admires the holiday atmosphere, but at the same time he walks quickly. He can't wait to be in the open air, no matter how freezing cold it is tonight.

He practically shoves the glass door to get out to the street.

"Beomgyu!" His mother flies forward, trapping him in a bear hug.

His father hugs him from the side, making him feel even more squashed. But it's the most glorious feeling. He almost cries. But he's done enough of that in the ward. It's time to smile, to celebrate the joy of being alive.

When his parents draw away, Beomgyu looks for the one he missed the most.

Choi Yeonjun is standing only a few feet away, looking unsure.

"Hyung." Beomgyu takes a leap, finding himself in Yeonjun's arms in an instant. He takes in the smell of grapefruit shampoo and the cologne Beomgyu gave him for a Lunar New Year present—top notes of mint and base notes of freshly cut wood. Beomgyu takes in all the familiarity. In the psych ward, he began to forget about what it felt like to be free, to wander the streets like a citizen. To hug in the streets and not care about being watched and assessed.

"I missed you," Yeonjun says into the crown of his head.

"I missed you," Beomgyu repeats, not knowing which one of them will pull apart first. It feels like they can stay like this forever, or at least until sunset of Christmas Day.

"Let's head home," Beomgyu's mom says, wiping the corners of her eyes.

"We have presents. And a feast." Beomgyu's dad gives his world famous thumbs-up, which he shows only at special occasions. Like now.

Beomgyu's dad drives. They listen to Mariah Carey as the street lights fly by. Beomgyu's hand is in Yeonjun's, and if his parents see, they don't ask any questions.

Perhaps they've always known.

"I'd like some time with Yeonjun outside," Beomgyu requests outside the condominium.

"Sure," Beomgyu's mom says, glowing at his return.

"Don't be too long," his father says. "Food will get cold."

When they're alone, Beomgyu and Yeonjun head to the small alcove between two vending machines. They're still in the open air, and it's freezing, but Beomgyu feels warm in the presence of Yeonjun.

"Hyung," he starts.

But Yeonjun interrupts him, grabbing his hand with force. "Choi Beomgyu. I love you. I love you so much. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner. I'm sorry for growing distant when we became teenagers. I'm sorry. But I love you."

Beomgyu wears a radiant grin. "Choi Yeonjun, I love you too."

When they kiss, Beomgyu thinks about how lucky he is. Yeonjun risked it all to come to the ward. He was reckless for Beomgyu.

The kiss deepens. Beomgyu savors the smooth, fullness of Yeonjun's lips, the way they press into his own with force—but still in a gentle way that Yeonjun has always treated him with. Beomgyu wraps his arms around Yeonjun's neck, feeling the other boy form a tight circle around his waist.

They draw back, and kiss again. Like they were in a drought until now. Beomgyu wonders why they didn't do this sooner, why it took his hospitalization for it to happen.

Snow falls in light flurries. When the soft, passionate kiss finally ends, Beomgyu notices a few snowflakes on Yeonjun's hair. He brushes them away, laughing.

"I love you," Yeonjun says, at the exact same time as Beomgyu does.

They laugh together, spending another few minutes out in the snow, as white begins to paint every surface, winter's breath.

Beomgyu grabs Yeonjun's hand, saying one more thing before they head inside, something he'll never say enough. "Hyung. Thank you."

Yeonjun pecks him on the cheek. It's a wordless gesture, but Beomgyu hears enough when Yeonjun smiles his goofy grin.

Choi Yeonjun, thank you. You were there in the blue hour. You were there in the sunset and sunrise, when I couldn't see past the clouds. You were there in midnight and the most radiant day. Yeonjun, you were always, always there.

The End! Reader, it means so much that you took a chance on this story

The End! Reader, it means so much that you took a chance on this story. I will see you on the next one! And may your heart always find joy in Beomjun moments.