Chapter 21: Brave - Yeonjun

Leaving is hard.

It could be the hardest thing Yeonjun has ever done. Well, it is easy to convince the doctors that he's ready to leave. Dr. Oh has been wanting him out of there since two weeks ago.

But leaving Beomgyu behind? He's never done that before.

Walking out of the psych ward, into the elevator wearing Beomgyu's sweater and jeans, he could cry. But he holds it in, afraid that his breaking will somehow affect Beomgyu's ability to heal without him. It's been a belief since childhood that he and Beomgyu are connected.

Mr. and Mrs. Choi are in the lobby.

"Yeonjun?" Mrs. Choi runs up to him, the concern on her face fading into surprise.

"Mrs. Choi." Yeonjun gives a slight bow. "It's so good to see you."

"We haven't seen you in ages," Mrs. Choi says. "Were you...." She glances at the elevator, then back at Yeonjun, as if trying to decipher something cryptic.

"Visiting Beomgyu?" Mr. Choi guesses, coming alongside his wife. They look like the perfect couple, and Yeonjun always admires the features Beomgyu gained from each one. The delicateness of Mrs. Choi's nose and lips, the angle of Mr. Choi's eyes.

"Yes," Yeonjun says, grabbing for the story offered to him. "I was visiting."

"I thought they only allowed family..." Beomgyu's mother tilts her head to the side, looking entirely like Beomgyu when he's trying to figure something out.

"I lied," Yeonjun says, untangling the story in his mind. "I said that I was his brother. So they let me in."

"Oh!" Mrs. Choi brightens. "You're so brave, Yeonjun. I'm sure Beomgyu loved having you visit him."

Mr. Choi reaches out, clapping him on the back. "Come over more often, Yeonjun."

"I will," Yeonjun replies, grinning for real. He thinks he will never take visiting the condo for granted again. Once Beomgyu is out, and things go back to normal—even if it isn't completely normal—he will stay over. Even though they are almost adults, they can relive the days they had nothing to worry about except who would fall asleep first.

Mrs. Choi reaches out to embrace him, Mr. Choi patting his back again.

"Please pray for Beomgyu," Mrs. Choi says as she draws away. She's close to crying, tears welled up in the corners of her eyes. "He's having a very hard time."

"I'll pray every day for him," Yeonjun says. "Every hour."

"That's our boy," Mr. Choi says, like he's their second son.

Once Beomgyu's parents leave to ascend on the elevator to the fifth floor, Yeonjun sits in the lobby, on one of the long vinyl couches, and imagines the day Beomgyu is released.

It'll be the most marvelous day.

And he will be waiting.

Hope Yeonjun and Beomgyu would inspire you to be brave! Thank you for reading as always