Chapter 10

"The party's Saturday night, and it starts at about seven PM. So...are you coming or not?"

Cassie stared blankly at her best friend, who had just spent the past couple of minutes talking about the upcoming Halloween party Isaac, Felipe, and DeShawn would be holding this weekend at their apartment. Mariana's eyes were bright with excitement as she shared details of when it was and the fact that she had already planned to dress up as a deer.

But Cassie couldn't bring herself to care about any of it. The idea of attending another college party was far from appealing. She tried her best to feign interest, but her eyes glazed over a couple of minutes into Mariana talking.

"Cassie, are you listening?"

"Hmm? Yes, I am."

Mariana frowned. "It doesn't look like it."

"I am," Cassie repeated, hoping that she sound convincing. "I'm not going to the party."

"Seriously?" Mariana remarked, her frown deepening. "Why not?"

"Like I told you last time, I'm done with parties," Cassie said with an exasperated sigh. "I also don't drink anymore too, so why would I want to be around that?"

"Wait— you don't drink anymore?"

"No, I don't. I thought I told you that?"

Mariana shook her head, her eyes trying to contain shock. "No, you didn't. Why'd you stop drinking? It's no big deal— I'm just wondering."

"I just realized that I didn't like how it made me feel and it's contributed to a lot of my unhappiness," Cassie explained. "Going to parties forces me to be around all that, which makes me feel really uncomfortable."

"Oh. I didn't know," Mariana replied, her light green eyes dimming further. "I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to put you into an uncomfortable situation on purpose."

Cassie's grin was small. "I know that. Look, I love hanging out with you, I do. But I'm not interested in going to the Halloween party. It's nothing personal."

"I understand," Mariana said with a nod.

That conversation had occurred just a few days ago. But despite it, Cassie decided to go to the Halloween party after all on the morning of. The only reason she had changed her mind was that she had had an extremely stressful test yesterday that left her reeling and full of pent-up stress. While a party may not have been the ideal place to release one's stress, it would have to do. Otherwise, Cassie had a feeling that she would explode. Any excuse to get loose was welcome at this moment in time.

She managed to make it out to a discount Halloween store for a couple of hours to buy a cheap sexy police officer costume. She texted Mariana what she was up to once home, as her best friend was currently at the library working on a group project.

Cassie: Do you mind if I tag along tonight? I need to blow off steam after yesterday's test.

Mariana: Sure. You don't have to tho

Cassie: I know, but I want to

Mariana: Sounds good!

Cassie set her costume on her bed and sat beside it. A sinking feeling punched her square in the gut, causing her to second guess her decision. But she tried hard to ignore it.

Let's just hope I have a good time at tonight's party, she thought.

***

Later that night, Cassie and Mariana arrived at the Halloween party about an hour after it had started. It was already well underway, with students in all kinds of crazy costumes packed inside the apartment. People were either chatting, dancing, or playing a variety of drinking games. The apartment already smelled like a combination of alcohol and sweat as music blared from the packed living room. But the smell didn't bother Cassie as much as she had expected.