Chapter 17

If there was ever a time for Lexi to be glad about packing a large pair of dark sunglasses, it was now, as she boarded the Greyhound to New York City. She threw them on while indoors— something she wouldn't otherwise do. But it was her only way to keep her teary eyes out of the sight of strangers.

No one had better ask me if I'm okay, she thought once she plopped down in her window seat.

Lexi's heart pounded in her chest as she threw in her earbuds and began playing loud music. Her eyes focused on the window to avoid having to look at anyone else. She silently wept at how everything had gone down at Isaac's house. It was one thing for his mother to not like her and express mild disdain. But it was a whole other thing to berate and embarrass her in front of Isaac and the rest of his family. Her face felt hot as she tried to get the events of the confrontation out of her head.

I can't believe that happened. God, what a fucking disaster that visit was. How can someone treat another person like that? After how kind I was to them, too...

Lexi bit her lip to keep a sob from escaping. She didn't want to draw any unwanted attention to herself. Fortunately, the man sitting beside her was fast asleep and wasn't even looking in her direction.

I've never wanted to be home in San Diego so bad, she thought. Why did my parents have to not celebrate it this year???

She bit her lip again. She understood that her parents' careers were important and she never wanted to get in the way of that. But she wished they hadn't been too busy for Thanksgiving this year. If that hadn't been the case, she wouldn't be crying while taking a Greyhound back to New York City.

She glanced at her phone and saw several unread texts from Isaac. She continued to ignore them out of sheer embarrassment for walking out the way she had. Instead, she texted her roommate and best friend.

Lexi: Hey, when are you back in NYC? I can't remember

Nikita: Tomorrow afternoon, I think? Hbu?

Lexi: I'll be there tonight.

Nikita: I thought you were staying @ Isaac's?

Lexi: It's a long story

Nikita: Ok. Sorry

Lexi: Not your fault. I'll tell you tomorrow. Gotta go

Nikita: Later!

Lexi sighed before turning her music up a little more. She closed her eyes and tried to calm down in the hopes of not thinking about what happened.

When she finally reached her destination, she took an Uber to her apartment and entered. She decided to unpack now despite it now being well into the evening.

I'll take care of my dirty laundry tomorrow, she thought as she finished the last of her unpacking.

It wasn't until after she had showered and changed into her pyjamas that she glanced at her phone again. She finally scrolled through the texts Isaac had sent her.

Isaac: Lexi, I'm sorry

Isaac: Please talk to me

Isaac: I love you, babe

Isaac: I've talked to my parents and they're gonna apologize

Isaac: I wanna make this right

Isaac: Lexi, please respond

Isaac: Lexi?????

Each text broke Lexi's heart a little more than the last. Tears brimmed her eyes at how desperate Isaac sounded. It was obvious that he wanted to fix this messy situation. But instead of replying, she put her phone down and laid down to get some much-needed sleep. She didn't want to deal with any more drama today.