Chapter 11

Lexi's heart pounded in her chest as she returned to the party. She warmed up quickly once escaping from the cold weather outside, but that did little to comfort her. The anger-fueled rant she had unleashed on Cassie a few minutes ago was fresh in her mind, leaving little room for anything else.

Why the fuck did she even want to talk to me? God, I can't fucking stand her, Lexi thought as she scanned the entrance of the apartment. Isaac had gone to the bathroom before Cassie had approached her, and she hadn't seen him since.

I hate that Cassie tried to ruin my fucking night, Lexi thought. She took her halo off her head and ran one hand through her chestnut blonde hair. She had curled it for tonight's party, so she took care to not mess them up.

A familiar and welcoming face approached her from out of nowhere. "Hey, baby! Finally found you. Where were you?"

Lexi glanced over to see Isaac standing beside her with a carefree grin on his face. But despite seeing his joyous expression, Lexi couldn't bring herself to crack a smile in return. She looked down at the ground with her halo still clasped in her hands.

"What's wrong?" Isaac asked. His smile had now disappeared into a look of concern.

"Can we please talk elsewhere?" Lexi countered. "Somewhere more private?"

"Of course we can."

Isaac grabbed her by the hand and led her to his empty bedroom. Lexi sat on the bed, her eyes glancing down to the floor as Isaac locked the door behind them.

"What's going on?" he questioned once he sat down beside her.

Lexi put the halo on the nightstand and looked up at her boyfriend. "I just got done yelling at Cassie."

Isaac's look of concern switched to an incredulous one. "Wait, what? Seriously???"

"Yep, it actually happened. I still can't believe it," Lexi said with an empty laugh.

"Good for you," Isaac remarked with a nod. "Serves her right for yelling at you for the millionth time."

"She didn't yell at me this time, believe it or not," Lexi revealed.

Isaac appeared to be confused. "She didn't?"

Lexi shook her head before explaining everything that had led up to her blowing up at Cassie outside his apartment. She also detailed all the nasty things she screamed at her enemy, as well as how she reminded Cassie of how she had ruined much of Lexi's time at New York University over the years.

"She still wanted to talk after everything I yelled at her, and I just didn't wanna hear it," Lexi concluded. "So, I left after calling her a few choice things. It felt good to get all that off my chest— and to say it all to her face, no less."

"Well, I'm proud of you for doing that," Isaac said before kissing the top of her head. "I know how upset you've been over the shit she's pulled over the years."

"It's beyond upsetting," Lexi confessed. She took a deep breath to keep herself from crying out of sheer frustration. "I still don't get what she even wanted to say to me in the first place."

Isaac mused the possibilities for a moment. "Maybe she wanted to apologize to you the way she did to me?"

Lexi's blue-green eyes widened. "Cassie apologized to you?"

"Shit, I forgot to tell you about that! I'm so sorry, Lexi. I honestly thought I already did."

"It's fine, babe. But holy shit... She seriously apologized to you for all the shit she put you through?"