Chapter 14

Lexi found herself riding high the next day. When Isaac had texted her yesterday that his parents had agreed to have her over for Thanksgiving dinner, it left her in the best mood. She wanted to continue to prove to them that she loved Isaac and was serious about their relationship. She hoped that spending more time with them would help do that.

As she sat in the lecture hall of her last class of the week, Lexi tried to stay focused on the topic at hand. She didn't want next week's plans to cloud her mind and distract her. She focused solely on the lecture, taking careful notes throughout.

By the mid-point of class, the professor decided to give students a 30-minute break instead of the normal 15-minute break. Due to this change, it would be the only break of the lecture, and he also planned to let class out early today. Lexi decided to get out of her seat to stretch her legs.

When she grabbed her phone to take it with her, she saw that someone was calling her. The number had a New York City area code, but she didn't recognize it. She hustled out of the lecture hall and away from other students to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hi, may I please speak to Miss Alexandra Cole?" a young woman asked.

"She's speaking," Lexi said in a wary voice. "May I please ask who's calling?"

"This is Mandy Hall of Write House Agency. How are you today?"

Lexi's blue-green eyes went wide. She remembered Write House Agency when she had created a list of literary agents to query last month. They were a small talent agency based in Manhattan that specialized in representing artists, authors, and other people in similar creative fields. Mandy Hall was a literary agent who, despite only being in the industry for just two years, was already representing a few horror/thriller authors who were now household names. They included authors Alexander Moriarty, Elle Channing and Jaime Piper. To be in the company of such well-known authors was unfathomable.

"I'm good, thanks," Lexi replied before she could let her thoughts get the better of her. "How are you?"

"I'm well, thanks! I just wanted to call because I saw your email and read your manuscript," Mandy explained, "and I think you're what Write House Agency is looking for."

It took everything in Lexi not to gasp out loud. "That's great to hear, Mandy. Um... I'm sorry, what are the next steps?"

Mandy's laugh was airy yet reassuring. "I'd love for us to chat sometime tomorrow. Are you in NYC? I don't recognize your area code."

"I live in NYC right now 'cause I'm attending NYU. But I live in San Diego when I'm not in school. I do plan to stay in New York for good though," Lexi revealed. She took a breath to calm her heart, which was beating faster than ever.

"Oh, I see! I was gonna offer to do a virtual meeting, but why don't you come to my office instead? What time works for you tomorrow?"

"I don't have class that day, so I'm actually free anytime."

"Oh, perfect! Let me see..." Mandy paused, which was followed up by a few mouse clicks. "Is 10:30 AM good?"

"Absolutely," Lexi said. "Thank you again!"

"You're welcome," Mandy replied. "Sorry, I have to take another call now. I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Just ask for me at the reception desk."

"Of course! Sounds good to me," Lexi remarked.

Once the two women exchanged goodbyes, Lexi hung up and clutched her phone tightly to her chest. All her querying had finally paid off. She had received so many no's or been ignored for so long that it had dimmed her confidence in ever finding a literary agent. So, to hear that someone had taken enough interest in her and her book to represent her had made all that effort well worth it.